It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:39 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Union Wash near Lone Pine

We were hiking up Union Wash in the hopes of finding Ammonites (Didn't find much) and came across a use trail. It is up the wash from where the canyon narrows down and is just before the third class in the wash. There is a carron on the south side of the wash and a use trail switchbacks up the scree slope. I followed it approx 800 vert feet and it continued on. Looks like ...
Read more : Union Wash near Lone Pine | Views : 5653 | Replies : 7

Angeles Crest - The Aftermath of the Station Fire

I went up Angeles Crest on Sunday, January 17, 2010 and took these pictures. Until a little over a week ago I didn't even know it was open, but a friend of mine told me how he brought his kids up towards Mt. Waterman to play in the snow. On Sunday, when I went up there, the road was closed at Redbox, so all the pictures are from below that area. I stopped by the ...
Read more : Angeles Crest - The Aftermath of the Station Fire | Views : 22821 | Replies : 81

footprint of a stormy week

footprint of a stormy week, derived from http://water.weather.gov.

The above map appears to total rainfall for the previous day. So the Sunday 1-17-2010 map appears to show precipitation for Saturday. Thus the annotated date 1-17-2010 that is Sunday show "Sat". Note I am no meterologist, just a long time keen weather follower. My decades of chasing fresh powder skiing about Tahoe and photog landscape work otherwise has a ...
Read more : footprint of a stormy week | Views : 1061 | Replies : 2

skyline trail, palm springs

all i wanna know is how far is it from Ramon rd up the lykken trail to skyline trail to the 2650 elevation marker! ive looked on too many sites to count and just wanna know how far im going every day! if anyone knows PLEASE e-mail me the distance at 93ludegirl@gmail.com. thank you!
Read more : skyline trail, palm springs | Views : 2518 | Replies : 3

perched synclines

Read more : perched synclines | Views : 376 | Replies : 0

SP members' accomplishments mentioned in Rock & Ice

This in the most recent issue of Rock & Ice (March '10; not even sure how this is possible as it's not even February! rockandice.com)- an article called 'The Hard Way,' about a man (Daniel Arnold) who made it his quest to recreate influental early Sierra climbs, using the same equipment restrictions that the climbers back then faced. The article is based out of this book: http://www.annieblooms.com/event/daniel-arnold-presents-early-days-range-light

The end of the article finds the author, ...
Read more : SP members' accomplishments mentioned in Rock & Ice | Views : 1910 | Replies : 8

Die, Angeles Crest Highway, Die!

I dunno; I like that road and it would be fine if they would've taken proper measures in the past. Doing controlled burns would not have caused the inferno we had in the fall and would not have caused the landslides we have now. It also would not have caused the owner of Newcombs wanting to close shop because the road is always closed... I feel for the guy; they gave him 1.5h notice that ...
Read more : Die, Angeles Crest Highway, Die! | Views : 18399 | Replies : 80

Trans-Sierra Ski Tour

I'm in the planning phase for a Trans-Sierra Ski about 6 weeks out and am looking at a route I haven't been able to find much information on. Going West to East I'm hoping to start at Edison Lake (via snowmobile access) and ski the Mono Creek Trail over to Mono Pass. We'll drop down into Rock Creek Canyon from Mono Pass where we'll meet our wives at the Rock Creek Lodge. Hopefully if we ...
Read more : Trans-Sierra Ski Tour | Views : 9333 | Replies : 10

Something wicked this way comes!

Better batten down the hatches. During the next week the Sierra's will be hit with up to 10 ft. of snow. TWC also says that the SF bay area will get hit with very heavy rains~ up to 15in. Time to get the shovels out. :shock: Then, a few days after it all stops... time to get out the AT gear..........Woo Hoo! ...
Read more : Something wicked this way comes! | Views : 20321 | Replies : 154

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557983 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136489