It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:50 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Not sure where to post llama images...

I guess this is the best place to do it. I saw these guys close to the Klamath River, near Irongate:

Read more : Not sure where to post llama images... | Views : 1414 | Replies : 5

Baldy Randonee Race

Would any of you be interested in an informal, endurance randonee race on Baldy in the spring? I'm thinking something akin to those of our Italian friends, except with emphasis on it being "unofficial" in light of liabilities and complications with the forest service. If we could get 10-20 skiers from the area, I think it could be quite a lot of fun!

I'm thinking along the lines of arriving at the hut Friday night ...
Read more : Baldy Randonee Race | Views : 982 | Replies : 3

Death in Torrey Pines

I just found out a friend of mine died there today and I was wondering if anybody has heard anymore about this. Thanks for any info.

Here's the link I just got. http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/134802.html
Read more : Death in Torrey Pines | Views : 2110 | Replies : 8

San Jacinto

Planning to meet some (less experienced/out of shape) friends to hike up Mt. San Jacinto next weekend from the top of the tram. I have never been up there myself. Will we need crampons/axes, or are snowshoes and poles enough?
Read more : San Jacinto | Views : 2398 | Replies : 4

What would you do?

Firtop in Point Reyes is a nice hike. And the whole hike is in the trees, so it's pretty dry.
Read more : What would you do? | Views : 6532 | Replies : 40

AT/Rando gear - optimal set up?

Hey all,

I'm starting the slow process of maybe thinking about some BC skiing at some point. This means that I've made some inquiries about gear, almost did an avi 1 course this year and have looked at a lot of pics.

But I don't think I'll start playing til next year, and will be on piste this year.

What should I be looking for? Are Diamir still the thing? Recommends on skins? Avi gear ...
Read more : AT/Rando gear - optimal set up? | Views : 3641 | Replies : 19

Mosquito Flats Conditions

With the new dumping of stuff in the Sierra, it's time to get the skis out there. My first trip into the "wilderness" with the Dynafits, so I'm looking forward to introducing them to one of my favorite areas.
Who's been to the Upper Rock Creek area lately, or knows the snow conditions from Mosquito Flats to either Mono or Morgan Pass? Would actually like to skin out to Dade Lake if conditions permit. ...
Read more : Mosquito Flats Conditions | Views : 3828 | Replies : 11

Wilderness Workshop

for those in SoCal:

"Hey adventurers,

a friendly recommendation and a plug for a struggling local business:

If you need to repair or wash your tent, sleeping bag or some other piece of outdoors equipment like jacket, straps, webbing... give Janice at Wilderness Workshop a call (323) 256-0723. She's local (Eagle Rock), reliable and affordable. Please spread the word, apologies for the spam.

Thanks,
Branislav"
Read more : Wilderness Workshop | Views : 1003 | Replies : 0

Are people in California better?

I've been looking at a lot of the Sierra peaks lately on SP and one thing I noticed is that there seems to be some ridiculous stuff going on in California; looking at trip reports and climbers logs it seems like people are logging dayhikes with pretty outrageous distances and elevation gain, especially on the Eastern Slope and SEKI wildernesses. So my question is, in all honesty, are you folks in California faster and more ...
Read more : Are people in California better? | Views : 8100 | Replies : 23

Anniversary in the Mtns: where would you go?

Hello!

I'll be celebrating my 4th anniversary with my girlfriend, and we want to go someplace in the Sierras. We're looking for something romantic, cozy, and with plenty of fun outdoor options (we'd prefer backcountry vs. lift-service). I've considered the Ahwahnee in Yosemite, but it's very expensive, and gets a lot of bad reviews.

Where would you go with your lover / adventure buddy that combines romance, good food and fun in the mountains? Oh ...
Read more : Anniversary in the Mtns: where would you go? | Views : 1349 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557978 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136481