It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:17 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Winter Montaineering in the Sierra

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on winter climbs in the Sierra that could be accomplished in 2-3 days.

Thanks,

Farzin
Read more : Winter Montaineering in the Sierra | Views : 2855 | Replies : 8

I can see Rainier from my office window!

I wish. Actually I can see Mt. Diablo and with the snow and cold temps it looks a Cascade volcano. Anyone ever try skiing on one of the rare snowfalls on Diablo or Hamilton?
Read more : I can see Rainier from my office window! | Views : 4756 | Replies : 22

Shasta this weekend. (Avalanche Safety Question)

well it looks like its going to dump all week, leaving tons of unconsolidated snow for painfully slow trailbreaking and potentially high avalanche risk. we were going to go up casaval, but now having second thoughts. thoughts?
Read more : Shasta this weekend. (Avalanche Safety Question) | Views : 2420 | Replies : 9

Planning first Sierra Trip (Tyndall->Whitney, July 2010)

I've been out of action for a few weeks with a knee injury, so I've been trying to get my mountain fix by thinking about what trips I can do next summer. I've never been to the Sierras before, so I drew up this map of a possible multi-day adventure...

Tyndall to Whitney
Basically it would be:

Day 1: Get up to Shepherd Pass, hike up Polychrome Peak if I felt like it.
Day 2: ...
Read more : Planning first Sierra Trip (Tyndall->Whitney, July 2010) | Views : 5122 | Replies : 18

Lee Vining Cyn Conditions

I just took a look up there on Saturday December 5. Here are some photos. This will probably change if the storms in the current forecast materialize. The rest of the pics I took are here.

Bard Harrington Wall

Main Wall

Chouinard Falls

The boulder field at the beginning of the approach.
Read more : Lee Vining Cyn Conditions | Views : 15128 | Replies : 58

Climb similar to Matterhorn?

What climb in the western U.S. would you say is most similar to the Hornli Ridge route on the Matterhorn?
Read more : Climb similar to Matterhorn? | Views : 2417 | Replies : 10

Snow shelters with scouts?

Hey guys,
I have been put on charge of finding a location to snow shelters with scouts this february. The plan is that we will arrive saturday, and build shelters all day and then sleep in them and leave sunday. Any ideas of were we could do this? We are from San Diego, so somewere no more then a 6 hour drive would be nice. Any ideas on campgrounds? My scoutmaster wants a carcamping location ...
Read more : Snow shelters with scouts? | Views : 1308 | Replies : 7

Tahoe snowmobile-powered skiing

Ok, so I know they're not widely loved in the mountaineering community, but I recently picked up a pair of snowmobiles for winter climbing and backcountry ski access. Initially I'm just going to use them for access on snow-covered logging roads, but as I get more experience under my belt, I'd like to do ski laps on steeper terrain - towing someone else on the way up, and then switching off who gets to ski/drive ...
Read more : Tahoe snowmobile-powered skiing | Views : 14800 | Replies : 38

East Buttres on Whitney

Ever since I saw it I've wanted to climb it. It looks like so much fun and It's in Cali so I think it would be a great trip.
I looked at the report on summit post but some more info might help. First off what months could I go to avoid snow and the use of crampons and an ice axe? I'm thinking summer but I don't know if June to August is all ...
Read more : East Buttres on Whitney | Views : 2774 | Replies : 13

Anybody seen this kid on the east-side?

passing this along for his dad . . .

Spreading the word, in case any of you have run into him.

If you have info, please contact Vitaly, not me (phone # below).

Hello everybody,

My son is missing since last Friday 11/27 evening. I actually have no idea where he went but he took all his bouldering climbing gear (pad, shoes, chalk) and some camping gear (sleeping bag and pad) so he might be ...
Read more : Anybody seen this kid on the east-side? | Views : 3308 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557980 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136488