Outdoor shops in San Francisco

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
QITNL

by QITNL » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:33 am

Hi Lolli -

I have a Marmot Never Winter, men's version, which you are welcome to borrow. It's a spare, so I don't care, if you like it you are welcome to buy.

I'm in the bay area, right on BART. You are coming next weekend, right? I'll be away this weekend, home Monday night. If you need anything else, I have other spare parts.

I'll try to shoot you an email.

-Joe

dyusem

by dyusem » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:
dyusem wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:
Lolli wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:Dress warmly, take a jacket even if its warm in the city (which it won't be)

DMT

It won't be warm?????

Mark Twain - "The coldest winter I ever experienced was summer in San Francisco."

Now Oct is about the best month for San Fran fog-wise. Inland where I live, around Sacramento, in summer its common to have a 30 degree temp difference inside 80 miles. It can be 90 here and 60 there and often that is exactly the case.

Walking across the Golden Gate in 70 degree weather with no wind is a rare occruance indeed.

DMT

That profound statement is often (incorrectly) attributed to Mr. Clemens:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/twain.asp

The 7 day SF forecast is calling for a wind event mid-next week with temps in the 70F range during the day.

A great time to be on the GG Bridge this time of year is during the golden hour which oftentimes is fog free and provides a great view of the City and the setting sun over Pacific and Marin Headlands.

The snopes Denyers made a fucking piss poor argument (wah... we couldn't find it!) - I am not convinved. If that's what they call researcjh? LOL!

Thanks for posting it anyway.
DMT

No doubt Snopes' research was lacking and while the words sure smack of something Clemens would say, we all know the coldest winter day in his life was one that was spent at Bodie during his prospecting years.

I remember a x-ski outing from the north side of Mono Lake to Bodie (and back) during an Eastern Sierra cold snap that was made bitter by a north wind and only bearable when making tracks (word used loosely, the snow was rock hard!)

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Lolli wrote::wink:
ok..
and what is it? anything I would want to have?

I've never actually bought any there so I can only infer... but as a responsible US citizen I advise visitors from overseas to obey all federal, state and local laws. :)

PS if you want to consume something in the Haight made from a related sticky green herb that is perfectly legal under federal law (hops), there's a pretty good microbrewery on Haight and Masonic called "Magnolia". Down the hill a little ways is a beer bar called "Toronado" which has more than 40 beers on tap, and many more in bottles. And there's a good casual German restaurant on Hayes St. nearby ("Suppenkuche") with a good selection. Actually there a quite a few breweries and beer-drinking places in SF. And then of course there's all those wineries just a couple hours to the north...

gomez13

by gomez13 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Hey Lolli,

I work for the Golden Gate Bridge, so send me a PM when your here. I have access to the top of the towers most days after 3:30PM. If the fogs not in, its a great view.

dskoon

by dskoon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:22 am

Now there's an offer you don't hear everyday. Shit, better take him up on that one, Lolli. Then please post pics.

rlshattuck

endogenous????

by rlshattuck » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:01 am

no avatar
slobmonster

by slobmonster » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:38 am

JHH60 wrote:It's a bit confusing - I think Marmot Mountain Works (the store) used to be connected with Marmot (the gear brand) but aren't any more. They do carry a lot of Marmot gear but the website claims that they aren't affiliated. If someone knows the histroy I'd be interested in hearing...

At present Marmot Mountain works (the store) is an independent small retailer, like many others. But its name and affiliation with Marmot (the brand) go back to when they were one and the same.

PreviousNext

Return to California