Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.12027°N / 108.86982°W
Additional Information County: San Miquel
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 5344 ft / 1629 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview 

Psycho Tower
Psycho Tower
Nameless Face
Nameless Face on Psycho Tower
What an incredible tower located in the southwestern Colorado! I don't mind coming back there. The name is attractive to some and imagine the route name - Psychopath!

Rock Type:
Windgate Sandstone
Height: 200 feet
Climbing Style: crack, sport
Season: Fall through Spring (summer tends to be very hot, start early)
Land Status: BLM (Bureau of Land Management)
Restrictions: none
Road Access: good dirt road, regular vehicle
Gear Suggestion: sport gear (6 draws, some long runners) and for the 1st pitch small trad gear (small cams up to # 3 cam), one 60 meter rope sufficient
Approach Time: ~ 20 min (the tower is visible the whole time)
Length of climb: 3 (4 if you add Nameless Face) pitches, about 3 hrs
Difficulty: exposed 5.9+ climbing (Nameless Face is 5.11a)

Psycho Tower is a beautiful sandstone tower located in western Colorado, Big Gypsum Valley. The whole area has tons of climbing potential and many of the climbs are described in Charlie Fowler's book The Wild Wild West. And it is really wild here. This is a climbers paradise. When you reach the top of the tower and look around, there is no sign of human habitat other that the dirt road below.
Most of the famous sandstone towers are in Utah. Psycho Tower is relatively easy (rated as 5.9+) when compared to most of the sandstone towers. Please keep in mind it is an old school 5.9, and there  is a very exposed and well protected traverse on its second pitch (the exposure is right above the "neck", a fall would mean hanging in a free space). This is not a route for a beginner sport climber. The route's name "Psychopath" says it - can get little psychotic up there:). The area is very secluded, so most likely you will be enjoying a solitude. Lately, this climb has become more popular, and it has been featured in several climbing magazines.

The tower was first climbed by its most popular and easiest route "Psycho-Path" by Charlie Fowler and Steve Johnson (Telluride's attorney) in 1996.

There are several climbs on this tower described in the guidebook.
Nameless Face 5.11 a/b - is fine 1 pitch bolted face which leads to the start of regular route Psycho-Path. The start is tough, and it is not the easiest warm up. It does get easier higher up. If you wish you can top rope this route if walking towards the regular start of Psychopath and scrambling up the first pitch. 
Psycho-Path 5.9 - 3 pitches (all about 5.9, and all slightly different in the climbing style, from face to crack, to traverse, and corner). This is the original route and the most popular route (also the easiest route).
The Bear 5.10+: is another variation, which joins the original route Psycho-Path about half way up the first pitch. It start as large hands to OW.

Getting There 

Big Gypsum Valley
Big Gypsum Valley
Dolores river
Dolores River
The isolated Big Gypsum Valley is northwest of Highway 141, about halfway between Naturita and Dove Creek, Colorado. Allow nearly two hours from the Telluride area or 2.5 hours from Moab, Utah. From Highway 145, just east of Naturita, follow Highway 141 south for about 22 miles (I believe my car was showing 22.8). Turn right (northwest) on Road 20 R and follow the gravel road about 12 miles (passenger cars should be fine). There is a sign at the turn off "Big Gypsum Valley". The tower is high on the right when you reach the Dolores River. Continue about a half-mile to a BLM parking area, and walk back along the road until you are directly below the tower; follow a faint path past a prominent boulder and up the hill for about 20 minutes. This approach crosses private land, so please park at the BLM lot to keep a low profile; although there is a small parking place for 2-3 vehicles right below the tower and the approach trail.
I would like to mention watch out for the deer on your way back. We drove back twice during twilight home and had as many as 12 very close deer/elk encounters on the road. I live in Colorado and am used to deer running on the roads, but this area was particularly more frequent. 

The road gets muddy after a rain and 4 WD high clearance vehicle would be preferable, but during the dry times any car should make it to the parking lot. 

Psycho-Path 5.9

The approach to the tower is easy to follow. There is a small parking lot and trail marked with frequent cairns. You see the tower from the road and during the entire ascending hike. It takes about 20 min to reach the base of the tower. As you are getting closer, you will first encounter the optional pitch Nameless Face 5.11-, or you can just scramble on a steep patch along the western side of the tower to its north side and 4th class to the start of the regular route. I would like to mention that this 4th classing is probably lower 5th class exposed climbing per my opinion and it has some loose rocks on it. Also, during the warmer months could be infested with rattlesnakes. My partner nearly got bit by a rattlesnake when placing his hand inside a crack. It was during our first trip to Psycho Tower in early November.
Climber on the traverse
Climber on the traverse


PITCH 1 (5.9, 75 feet) Scramble up to a big ledge on the northwest side of the tower and find a bolted anchor at the start of the climb. Face climb past two bolts, move right (airy step!) and continue up a corner and flake system, then trend up and right over ledges to a bolted belay. The corner system is protected with small trad gear (nuts and small cams).

PITCH 2 (5.9, 50 feet) Step up and right, around a corner, then edge along the lip past several bolts. The traverse starts very easy, but eventually you end up right above the giant overhang of the tower. The traverse gets tougher, luckily it is well protected with closely spaced bolts. The last section goes straight up with not much feet. Don't take a fall here, you would end up hanging in free air. Lowering is not an option here - you are very high and rope would not reach the ground. The exposure is wild. Crank up to a spacious belay ledge, and walk north about 20 feet to an anchor below the bolts of the final pitch. No trad gear needed on this pitch, generously bolted.

PITCH 3 (5.9+, 50 feet) Face climb past several bolts (some stemming moves in a shallow corner), with a bulge crux that’s likely 5.10 if you’re shorter than 5’10”. Above the last bolt, easier climbing protected by a few mid-sized cams gains the top.

VARIATION, PITCH 1: NAMELESS FACE (5.11a/b, 70 feet) Ascend the southwest face directly to reach the shoulder on the north side. It joins the start of the regular route "Psycho-Path" in the saddle. Climb a thin face past seven bolts, the first moves are hard (crux). You can easily avoid this pitch by walking above to the north side of the tower and scrambling to the saddle from the north side. It is a tough warm-up, but spices your adventure.

DESCENT: Rappel to the northwest. Two raps with a single rope. The 2nd rap station is slightly to the west - you have to swing to it a little bit. You can actually see the 2nd rappel station on your way up (look to your left while climbing 1st pitch, large ledge).
One double rope rappel from summit's north face can take you down.

Climb in the images as it happened


Approach to Psycho TowerApproach
Getting closerGetting closer
Nameless Face 5.11-Nameless Face 5.11a/b
Nameless Face 5.11-Nameless Face 5.11a/b
Exposed 4th classing4th classing
Anchors at the saddleAnchors at the start
1st pitch of Psycho-Path 5.91st pitch
Top of 1st pitchtop of 1st pitch
2nd pitch 5.92nd pitch start
Start of the traverse on the 2nd pitch2nd pitch start
2nd pitch traverse2nd pitch end
Large ledgeLarge ledge, 3rd pitch start
3rd pitch Psycho-Path 5.93rd pitch
Summit laughSummit laugh
Summit registrySummit registry

Red Tape

There are no fees and no restrictions to climb this tower. 

Psycho Tower - 3rd pitch
Psycho Tower - 2nd pitch = the start of the traverse

Psycho Tower - 2nd pitch
Psycho Tower -  1st pitch pitch

Nameless Face 5.11 a/b
Nameless Face 5.11 a/b
Psycho Tower summit
Psycho Tower summit - party of 3 czech men and me (czech too)
 
Psycho Tower 5.9+
Psycho Tower 5.9+
 
Psycho Tower
Psycho Tower - the traverse
 

Camping

Dolores River
Dolores River
Climbers on Psychopath
Climbers on Psychopath

There is BLM campground located about 1/2 mile past Psycho Tower. The campground used to be busy during the boating season (Dolores river was popular with boaters). It used to be more popular with rafts before McPhee Reservoir controlled the water. Now basically, you can float only when the Dam releases waters.

River Dolores is named after dolor = pain. It caused too much pain to the Spanish Fathers Domingo and Escalante during their exploration of this part of the territory. 


There are several primitive camping sites past mile marker 14 (just before the big turn in the dirt road) - these are more private, and there is more climbing (Slickrock Buttress) around and tons of bouldering around. 

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.