Sesang number 1

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.02370°N / 51.94890°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13566 ft / 4135 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Click for Introduction to the Central Alborz Mountains

Click for a detailed map of the Central Alborz Mountains.

From Lehra 1Northern Slopes

June 14, 2005 Looking north...Southern Slopes

Sesang refers to a series of five peaks that rise on the crest of a four Kilometer long ridgeline in the Central Alborz Mountains of northern Iran near Mt. Damavand. West to east, these peaks include:

Sesang #1, 4135 m
Sesang #2, 4130 m
Sesang #3, 4050 m
Sesang #4, 4089 m
Sesang #5, 4050 m

The northern slopes of the Sesang Peaks drop to the bottom of the Sesang River Valley (3450 m). In many places on these slopes you will find rocky areas and glacially carved cirques that house large snow fields (PIC 1, PIC 2). This is most notable below the summits of #2, #3 & #4. Traversing the ridge top from #2 to #4 seem to involve much rock climbing (I have not done this). Sesang #1 however, which is the tallest peak in the group, can be easily climbed via its northern slopes without any technical difficulties.

The southern slopes of the Sesang Peaks drop down to the bottom of the Deev Asiyab River Valley (3200-3300 m). Walls can be found on these slopes just below many of the summits including Sesang #1 (PIC 1). To the east, Sesang #5 is connected to the 3994 m Vararoo (Cheshmeh Kala) Peak and to the west, Sesang #1 is separated from the 4260 m Chapakro Peak via a 3990 m saddle.
Narrows 1

Climbing the Sesang Peaks require a multi-day hiking program. The usual starting point is the village of Nomar (2150 m) to the northeast. On day one, you will hike to the banks of the Sesang River to set up your base camp and then go on to climb the Sesang and other nearby peaks during the next few days (one way distance to the top of Sesang #1 is 20 Km). Another approach from the Lar Reservoir to the southeast has also been described (this however will probably require you to traverse the rocky areas between #4 and #2).

From the summit of Sesang #1 you will have great views of many of the nearby peaks. The most impressive view will of course be that of the massive cone of Mt. Damavand to the southeast

Getting There

DamavandDamavand 5671 m & Sesang #2 4130 m

From N. of Haft Saran
From eastern Tehran, drive the Haraz Road (Tehran-Amol) past the towns of Baijan and Kahrood until you see a sign that says “Amol 55 Km”. A few Kimlometers beyond this sign you will find a dirt road on the left (west) side of the road. This road is well-graded and is passable by most/any car. It might be inconspicuously signed for “Panjab” or “Nomar”. Drive the road 25 km to its end at the village of Nomar (also known as Nomarestagh). Distance from eastern Tehran is roughly 130 Km.

Red Tape

No fees/permits.


Camping

Anywhere.
Add External Links text here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.