Kredarica ski tour from Krma

Kredarica ski tour from Krma

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.38330°N / 13.85000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: medium hard
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the parent page of Triglav how to reach Mojstrana village. From there you turn southwards into the long Krma valley. By the road you reach first Zgornja Radovna village, then Kovinarska koča (hut) and afterwards (if the road is cleaned of snow) the end parking place at about 1000 m.

Route Description

Kredarica ski routes

In winter and spring from Krma usually one or two possible ski trails go.

The first one is by the bottom of the valley, where in summer also the marked path goes, and the other one goes higher over the scree slopes just under the vertical walls of Draški vrh. The latter is much less safe in case of avalanches (also for skiing).

Both possibilities join in a flat valley, at the foothills of Vernar. The altitude is about 1700 m. The ex shepherds hut of this alpine meadow (Planina Zgornja Krma) is situated about 100 m higher.

To reach Kredarica (always inhabited by the team of meteorologists) from Zgornja Krma there are three main possibilities:

1. Apnenica route. In the flat Zgornja Krma valley we turn sharp right and follow the valley towards the north. Because these slopes are very much exposed to the sun, snow conditions might be poor here. Reaching the upper part, we find ourselves on a high karst plateau, where we slowly turn left (towards the northwest). Crossing the slopes of Rž and Kredarica we reach the Kredarica hut.

2. By Shepherds hut. Soon after turning north in Zgornja Krma valley, we deter left (westwards) and ascend about 100 meters, where we find a small hut. It is open also in winter, but then it offers only a small, cold bivouac. From the hut we continue the ascent towards the west, but soon the trail turns right again (towards the north). The slopes here are not very steep, but we quickly gain altitude and so reach the slopes below Rž and Kredarica. The terrain turns us left and like in (1) we reach Kredarica hut.

3. Through Kurica. Above Shepherds hut we clearly see in the western direction a steep couloir. If conditions are good (take care of avalanches!) we can use it to reach Konjsko sedlo, 2020 m (Horse saddle). The couloir is up to 40 degrees steep. Reaching Konjski preval we turn northeastwards, and then northwards, less steep slopes again lead us below Rž and Kredarica and turning left (westwards) we ascend to the Kredarica hut. Ascending from Konjsko sedlo directly northwards is steeper.

From Krma to Kredarica we need 4-5 hours (1500 m). We can sleep in the Kredarica hut throughout the whole year.

To ascend Triglav in winter conditions we need complete winter equipment. In summer this is a ferrata, secured with pegs and steel ropes, which are in winter and spring covered by snow (see pictures on Triglav main page).

Essential Gear

Usual tour ski equipment. To climb the summit of Triglav in winter and spring you need an ice axe, crampons and rope.