Southwestern Mojave Ranges

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 34.67490°N / 116.8151°W
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview of Ranges

Ord Mountain





The Southwestern Mojave Ranges are one of the most desolate and starkly beautiful places in Southern California. The region is made up of a series of small usually volcanic or weathered granite ranges. The most prominent range is the rugged Ord Mountains which top out at 6,309 feet. Some of the other prominent ranges are the Granite Mountains 5,134ft., Newberry Mountains 5,117ft., Sidewinder Mountain 5,273ft. , Stoddard Mountain 4,896ft., Shadow Mountains 4,120ft., and the Rodman Mountains 6,010ft.. In the far western reaches of the Mojave you find a series of buttes that break up the flat desert. The most known of these is Saddleback Butte rising to 3,651 feet and Black Butte 3,581 feet.

History



For a interesting webpage on the history on the Southwestern Mojave and San Bernardino County go to Empire.net.

For history on Lucerne Valley go to LucerneValley.org.

For Ord Mountain mining history go to this Empire.net page.

Saddleback Butte State Park

Saddleback Butte


Saddleback Butte State Park is a great preserved place to go hiking and camping. The park was founded in 1960 to preserve this butte from the urban development in the Antelope Valley. The peak itself is a 4 mile round trip hike with a 1000 feet of gain. The views from the summit are impressive with the sprawl of other nearby buttes and the San Gabriel Mountains.

BLM Wilderness Areas

East Ord Mountain


The majority of this region is under BLM management.

The Rodman Mountain Wilderness area is 29,793 acres and was designated in 1994.

The adjacent Newberry Mountains Wilderness area is 20,308 acres and was also designated in 1994.

Pisgah Crater

Pisgah Crater is a volcanic cinder cone that lies just south of the I40. It may have erupted as little as 2000 years ago.

Wikipedia page for Pisgah Crater.

Major Roads

West Slope Notch Route

For roads involving access to the Granite Mountains, Newberry Mountains, Ord Mountains, and Rodman Mountains go to
Ord Mountain Route Network.

For roads involving access to the Stoddard Mountains and Sidewinder Mountain go to Stoddard Valley Offroad Vehicle Area.

External Links

For current weather go to Weather Underground.

For road and highway information in San Bernardino County.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.