Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.75200°N / 116.16397°W
Additional Information County: Ada
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5895 ft / 1797 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Stack rock is located along the Boise Front, not far from Bogus Basin Ski Area. It is clearly seen from there and most of the Treasure Valley. As far as my understanding goes, it use to be on private property and hiking there was off limits until recently. It is now officially part of the Ridge to Rivers Trail system.

Getting There

Access is off Bogus Basin road, about 10 miles up the road. There is a turnout on the east side of the road, just as it turns right (driving up hill). From the road use trail # 120 Eastside trail to the junction with #124 Mr. Big / #125 Freddys Stack Rock Trail until you see the big rock. There is another approach route from 13 miles up the road that has a larger parking area and appears to be more popular. Approx 6.5 miles and 1,700ft round trip.

Red Tape

None.

Camping

The trail system is day use only. There is no water or camping facilities.

Activites

Primarily hiking and mountain biking on the trail to Stack Rock. Snow shoeing is also an option. While climbing to the summit of the rock would be possible, I have not located much documentation of it. Reports I have read vary in routes and from a class 3 scramble to a 5.6 trad climb. It is unclear if there are anchors at the top. 

Additions

I will add pictures and more detailed information as I collect it. I just wanted to get the page under way. Please add any info that is relevant. Thanks! The Ridge to Rivers trail map would be the most appropriate for the area, as the trail names and numbers are accurately documented.

External Links