Sveti Nikola(island of Hvar)

Sveti Nikola(island of Hvar)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.14455°N / 16.59772°E
Additional Information County: the island of Hvar
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2054 ft / 626 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sveti Nikola(Saint Nicholas) is the the highest peak of the island of Hvar and is the third highest island mountain in Croatia. At the top there are picturesque chapel of St. Nicholas from the 15th century and a sizable stone cross. Baseline relief around the island make it a mountain ridge along the south side of the island with steep rocky slopes. The highest peaks of the island is situated above the southern shore of Zavala and Sveta Nedjelja(St. Sunday).
stone cross at Sveti Nikolastone cross at Sveti Nikola
the chapel of Sveti Nikola(Saint Nicholas)the chapel of Sveti Nikola(Saint Nicholas)
the interior of the chapel of Sveti Nikolainterior of the chapel

Getting There

http://www.jadrolinija.hr/pdfs/635.2011.zima.e.pdf http://www.jadrolinija.hr/pdfs/635.2011.ljeto.e.pdf http://www.jadrolinija.hr/pdfs/632.e.zima.2011.pdf http://www.jadrolinija.hr/pdfs/632.ljeto.2011.e.pdf http://www.jadrolinija.hr/pdfs/9603.2011.zima.e.pdf http://www.jadrolinija.hr/pdfs/9603.ljeto.e.2011.pdf
position of the island of Hvarposition of the island of Hvar
main ferry lines in islands of Middle Dalmatiamain ferry lines for islands of Middle Dalmatia
map of the island of Hvarmap of the island of Hvar

Stari grad(Old town)

Stari grad(Old town) is the oldest town in Croatia.
Stari grad (Old town) on the island of HvarStari grad (Old town) on the island of Hvar
church Sveti Stjepan in Stari gradchurch of Sveti Stjepan in Stari grad
Dominican monastery in Stari gradDominican monastery in Stari grad
Tvrdalj in Stari gradTvrdalj in Stari grad
backside of Tvrdaljbackside of Tvrdalj
Ribnjak(fisch-pond) in TvrdaljRibnjak(fisch-pond) in Tvrdalj

Red Tape

No restrictions.

Camping

Autocamp Jurjevac Njiva bb 21460 Stari Grad, Hvar Dalmatia Croatia Telefon: +385 21 765843 Fax: +385 21 765128 E-mail: info@heliosfaros.hr This family camp is located in the center of a place named Stari Grad, and has two stars. It can accommodate up to 600 guests in its 44 bungalows. Located in the beautiful natural landscape, 300 meters away from the beach where you can enjoy the sun and crystal blue sea. Camp Holiday Mala Banda bb 21465 Jelsa, Hvar Dalmatia Croatia Tel. +385 21 761140 Fax. +385 21 761140 E-mail: jelsa@hi.t-com.hr Holiday Camp is located 1 km from the center of Jelsa on the island of Hvar. The camp's capacity is 50 seats for car trailers, and 250 places for tents. The camp is equipped with a new toilet area, and has available washing and ironing for clothes, exchange, trade, and use the phone and internet access. In the campsite you can rent various equipment for water sports, and there are many sports facilities for table tennis, and paths for rollerblading. Within the camp there is a Holiday Lanterna restaurant which offers a daily variety of delicious and tasty dishes. Camp Lili Owner: Zaninović Lina Sveta Nedjelja-Jagodna Tel.: + 385 (0) 21 745 742,+ 385 (0) 21 745 775 091 898 2546 Fax: + 385 (0) 21 745 742 E-mail: sime.zaninovic@st.t-com.hr, info@kamplili.hr Camp Lili is located on the south side of the Hvar island in a beautiful bay Jagodna between Sveta Nedjelja and Ivan Dolac.It is small family camp which is surrounded with pine trees with two beautiful pebble beaches.The bay is ideal for anyone who enjoys in calm and peaceful seal idyll, likewise for admirers of nature, hiking, snorkeling, climbing, surfing, and other activities. Camp Petarčica Pitve (Zavala) 21465 Jelsa (Hvar) Tel: + 385 (0) 98 661 304, (0)21 761 602 Fax: +385 (0)21 761 602 Web: www.zavala-petarcica.com.hr/camp Camp Petarčica is located in the bay with the same name in city Zavala on the southern side of island Hvar. Camp owners offer also six apartments, just next to the beach and beautiful view. Beach is mostly stoned and has also graveled bay. Camp and the whole city is very calm and therefore recommended for families with smaller children. Pitches in camp are all covered with shade of pine trees, toilets are tidy, electricity connections available. In camp you can use refrigerator and grill places. Closest shop and bakery are 400m away, restaurant and bars about a kilometer.

View

View is nice on the islands of Korcula, Vis, Brac and Dalmatian coast.
view on northwest part of Hvar and island of Bracview on northwest part of Hvar and island of Brac

Coordinates

N 43 ° 8 '40.3''E 16 ° 35' 51.2''

Mark

On the eastern side of the chapel of St. Nicholas there are two boxes with a register. Metal stamp is on the wall of the chapel of St. Nicholas.

Approaches

Dol(near the Stari grad(Old City)) – Sveti Nikola 2:15 Svirče - Sveti Nikola 2:15 h Sveta Nedjelja – Sveti Nikola 1:30 h Mountain routes to Sveti Nikola (St. Nicholas) departing from Dol and Svirče are long as 2:15 h. The shortest but steepest route to the St. Nicholas is from Sveta Nedjelja on the southern coast. Distance of 30 minutes from the peak can be reached by car. The old road begins at the church in Dol near the Old City. The road is in relatively poor condition and one should drive slowly and cautiously. Shorter is a newer road that begins as a branch immediately after the tunnel on the road Stari Grad - Hvar. The roads are connected to the pass 30 minutes before the peak. Poor road continues milder terrain, past lonely farms according to legible top and stops 3 minutes before it.
village Dol and top Sveti Nikolavillage Dol and top Sveti Nikola
church of Sveti Mihael Arhanđel in Dolchurch of Sveti Mihael Arhanđel in Dol
stone walls 1stone walls 1
stone walls 2stone walls 2
field stone housesfield stone houses
farm and vineyards below Sveti Nikolafarm and vineyards below Sveti Nikola
stone cross and the chapel of Sveti Nikolastone cross and the chapel of Sveti Nikola
southern slopes of the island of Hvarsouthern slopes of the island of Hvar
vineyards on the southern slopes of Hvarvineyards on the southern slopes of Hvar

Map

Sveti Nikola is not shown on any mountaineering map.

External links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Dinaric AlpsMountains & Rocks