Telluride's Krogerata

Telluride's Krogerata

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Aid Climbing

Overview

When I heard of this via ferrata, I was surprised. I always imagined those iron ways in Dolomites, or some other parts of the Alps, but here in Colorado, and so close to my current home? I definitively had to go and see it.

Via Ferrata was supposed to be somewhat of a San Juan secret. Many people talked about it, but very few knew of its location. The route became recently more popular and also more busy with locals and tourists. And once you find its start, it is easy to follow. When doing my research on this "Iron Way", I came across statements like it is installed somewhere (not to be revealed) in the mountains of Colorado. I believe that this is not true anymore, I know many people who did it, and I have seen many people on its trail.

The most exciting section
Viewing Via Ferrata through the aspensCliffs where it is located - you can see a small ledge between the aspens

 

Brief history of Vie Ferrate

The concept started in the Dolomites. In World War I, the Austrians and Italians fought a feroucious war in the mountains of the Dolomites – not only against each other, but also against the hostile conditions. In the particularly frigid winter of 1916 thousands of troops died of the cold, falls or avalanches. To help troops ascend at high altitude, permanent lines were fixed to rock faces and ladders were installed. These were the first vie ferrate. The wartime network of passages is now maintained by Club Alpino Italiano, and many new routes have been added. Via ferrata are graded according their difficulty. Grade one usually involves nothing more than assisted walk. Grade five demands serious climbing skills.

 

Via Ferrata de la tour du Jalouvre, France
Via Ferrata in France

France developed vie ferrate as well, and they also developed its rating:


F – Facile: Easy, suitable for initial introduction
PD – Peu Dificile: slightly difficult, suitable for beginners and possibly children
AD – Assez Difficile: moderately difficult, suitable for accompanied beginners
D – Difficile: difficult, for those accustomed to the sport
TD – Tres difficile: very difficult, physically demanding, for regular participants
ED – Extremely Difficile: Extremely difficult, very physically demanding, and suitable for experienced practitioners with a high level of fitness.

Many other countries developed similar mountain ways: Austria has many (I have done one in Hohe Wand, Austria), there are some in Canada, even China, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Sweden and Peru, and now even USA. I guess the cable route on Yosemite’s Half Dome is a via ferrata.

Those who embark on a via ferrata are advised to use normal climbing equipment (climbing harness, helmet, appropriate shoes etc.). You don’t need rock climbing shoes, light hiking shoes are fine. I have dome some via ferrata’s in keens. You can purchase via ferrata kit, which consits of two short length of rope or webbing linked to the harness, with a locking carabiner at the end of each line. This arrangement allows the user to always have one of their safety lines attached to the safety cable.
You can also use rope, or create your own via ferrata system with two long slings with locking biners. It is not very comfortable to take a fall when using the slings.


Story behind Telluride's Via Ferrata

Chuck Kroger – local explorer and climber – first came across European Via Ferrate back in 1967 on trip to the Alps. He traveled the world looking for adventure, but once he settled for good in Telluride, Kroger became a trail building fiend and an advocate for access to local wilderness and peaks. He eventually decided to built via ferrata here. Starting in 2006, Kroger used his climbing skills to ascend sheer faces, packing a rock drill. He wasn’t’ just a renowned climber but also a master ironworker. Kroger forged and fabricated holds in his workshop and tried to make the route as safe as possible, using 5 ½ inch bolts versus the 2 ½ inch size used in most climbing holds. Then cancer took hold of Kroger, but his friends helped him finish putting up the Via Ferrata before he became too ill. He died Christmas Day 2007. The route he left behind is his legacy and all who travel it pay tribute to his vision. Locals call this iron way The Krogerata.

Man, what are you standing on?
Just a little lower...

 

Who is Chuck Kroger?

Plaque to Chuck Kroger
Plaque in the memory of its founder

Charles F. Kroger pulled into Telluride in 1979, ready to start another chapter in his life that was already crammed with offbeat escapades and exploration. He was scruggy from river trips and time on the road, and Telluride wasn’t much different. It still sported the dust and edginess from mining days. Telluride later lost much of its roughness, and nowadays is known as a place which attracts rich and famous people.


During college, he and his friends pioneered the sport of buildering: traversing a chapel ledge, climbing the Golden Gate Bridge, and spelunking trips through the vents than linked Stanford’s campus buildings. By his senior year, Kroger was the president of the Stanford Alpine Club. When he graduated in 1969 in geophysics, one of his professors remarked that Kroger spent more time climbing rocks than studying them. By his early thirties, he was climbing his way into record books. A quiet and unpretentious legend among late-60s climbers, he had several first ascents in Yosemite and the Sierras ans was the first climber to ratchet four big wall routes on El Capitan in one season. Climbing took him to Alaska, the Alps, the Soviet Union, South America and eventually Colorado.


Before discovering Telluride, Kroger took a climbing trip in the Pamir Mountains of Central Asia. He and his buddies scaled three peaks in 45 days. The extreme climbing filled them with fear and loathing: they ran out of food, ate from a trash pile, and were hoping for some miraculous rescue. They eventually walked out – irrevocably changed. Three of the six men married within weeks of their return. Kroger was one of them.

He met his wife in the Grand Canyon. Kathy was working as a parking ranger, and Kroger was hiking remote canyons and basing himself out of a beat up VW van. After a backpacking permit incident, they realized they had a lot in common. They married in Las Vegas. The two of them found their way to Telluride in 1979.
When in Telluride, he was employed by construction companies. eventually BONE (Back of Nowhere Engineering Construction) emerged with Kroger and Kathy as owners and host of employees. The company’s projects are distinct for their quality. Kroger was a self-taught welder who’d often be seen in the late night darkness of his shop, surrounded by arcing sparks and the white glow of a welding torch. He’d experimented with the concentrated heat until he had what he wanted.
As an artist and craftsman, Kroger’s joyful creations were infused with his philosophy that art should move and be humorous. He donated his pieces to nonprofits throughout the region. He volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and an organization called Corazon in Mexico, where he built and repaired houses for those less fortunate.

A six-time finisher of the Hardrock 100 – a grueling 100 mile race wit a 33,000 foot elevation gain, the Imogene Pass Run and other mountain competitions.

With his love for mountain trails, Kroger enlisted friends to clear new routes and build new paths. One of his final feats was a series of custom crafted steel steps and handholds, modeled on via ferratas from Dolomites.

Telluride's Krogerata

The scenery of Telluride iron way
The scenery of Krogerata - Bridal Veil Falls

Even though some of its sections resemble a hiking trail more than a rock climb, make no mistake, this climbing route requires technical abilities and gear. An accident of this route could easily have fatal consequences. Once you find its start, the route is easy to follow.
Telluride’s VF is unique in that it traverses horizontally rather than climbing vertically. This creates its own set of potential hazards, such as increasing the chance of your self belay attachment being severed in a horizontal swinging fall, or of not being able to regain the route if you have fallen below it.
The start is located past Bridal Veil Falls above Pipeline Wall Pipeline Wall . Once on the Krogerata just follow the trail, which at the end of the cables gradually descends to the road leading to town. Telluride Mountain Club suggests to retrace your way back to avoid crossing private property, which is located on the descent towards Telluride.
Count about 2 hrs for the actual via ferrata. Don't take small children along - some sections of the exposed part require long steps and long reaches. And remember it is very exposed.

Nice map and illustration of its location is here.


So, Telluride's secret is revealed. I found the route exciting and challenging enough. I was proud of my son being able to complete it (yes, I have heard of people turning around). The autumn when the aspens are turning gold is particularly beautiful part of the year to explore it. Thank you Chuck for creating this fun adventure.

Adendum Please note that this is not a walk in the park. Read the Telluride's mountain club information (link below) prior attempting this route, and consider hiring a local guide.

External Links

Telluride Mountain Club info on Via Ferrata.

 

Gallery - as you are going through the Krogerata

Bridal Veil FallsBridal Veil Falls
Autumn aspensGold aspens
Looking back to the parking lotParking lot below
The unmarked turn offThe unmarked turn-off
Boss on a strollBoss on a stroll
Bridal Veil FallsBridal Veil Falls
Telluride belowTelluride below
SwitchbacksSwitchbacks on the road
Hiking partEnjoying the views
Easy section of the via ferrata
Kroger s benchKroger's Bench
Man, what are you standing on?
Just a little lower...Difficult down climb move
some steps were long to reachSome moves required a long step
The most exciting sectionIt does get exciting
Horizontal Via FerrataHorizontal traverse
Telluride belowAnd another fun traverse
Another fun section
Crawling sectionCrawling section
Another hiking section
Leaving via ferrataLeaving Via Ferrata
Deer on descent trailDeer on descent trail


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 51
Dean

Dean - Oct 3, 2011 1:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Great stuff Liba

What an amazing set up. I wasn't aware there were any Via Ferrata's in the USA. Your pics are outstanding and kudos to your son for doing this one with you. I see your dog refused to attempt it however. ; )

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 3, 2011 1:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great stuff Liba

Thank you Dean. I was so proud of my son because some sections were scary and he is afraid of heights. I did not give Duchess any chance, she spent the day resting at home:)

ozarkmac

ozarkmac - Oct 12, 2011 12:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great stuff Liba

Aw, but the most famous and popular via ferrata of all is in California:
http://www.summitpost.org/the-cables/157874

silversummit

silversummit - Oct 3, 2011 2:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Fascinating place!

Enjoyable read and I love to see your son out hiking and climbing with you! And it's an amazing tribute to Kroger and his technical ability to share a beautiful place with others (though some might disagree!).

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 3, 2011 3:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fascinating place!

Thank you so much. I think that Kroger's work should be appreciated too.

Rockclimber77

Rockclimber77 - Oct 3, 2011 5:20 pm - Voted 10/10

the mystical via ferrata

I was climbing late one night with a friend (Marc) at the grand junction climbing center and as usual we talk of fun climbs and hikes that we have done recently.
He was telling me about his recent trip to telluride and late one evening he had gone on a hike that went across a 300' cliff on iron bars. He described the town lights at night and stars and mountains on some mystical hike across a cliff face, and music echoing up through the canyon from some concert that was happening in the town.
Well that was enough for me the next weekend i went to telluride, unsure of where to find the start of this hike i hit the streets and started asking the locals, i was surprised just about everybody in town had known about it and where it was located and i did get good directions to the mine.
i have yet to do this hike at night but i must say it is one of the coolest hiking trails i have gone on.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 3, 2011 6:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: the mystical via ferrata

Thanks David. What are you doing tonight? How about checking out lights over Telluride from via ferrata?

EricChu

EricChu - Oct 4, 2011 5:27 am - Voted 10/10

Bravo, Liba!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this really excellently written article of yours full of very interesting information! And the place looks very attractive, I might even say, very "European" - it stirred up quite a lot of old memories of places I had been to, years ago, in Italy and Switzerland (of course not on via ferratas! :D). Congrats to you, also for your well-deserved photo of the day (even if it means I failed by a hair to make POTD today - haha!), and congrats to Misa as well - chapeau for having done that route so courageously!
Cheers, Liba,
Eric

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 4, 2011 9:05 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo, Liba!!!

Thanks Eric. It was an exciting day, and my son did so great. Did I mention that he is afraid of heights?
You are right, this part of Colorado is particularly beautiful, and so far from big cities (front range area) that it still feels relatively uncrowded.
Thanks again for visiting.

pyerger

pyerger - Oct 5, 2011 4:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Read

Thanks for posting Liba, that was a great read! I didn't know that VF. even existed, and have never heard anyone talk about it before.I Will have to put that on the must do list.

Ps. I think I ran into you, and your friend coming off the Coxcomb, back in Aug???

Cheers, Peter

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 5, 2011 8:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Read

Thanks Peter.
Wow... I wish we would have a longer time to talk. Did you like your trip to Wetterhorn basin?

pyerger

pyerger - Oct 6, 2011 3:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great Read

yes, I was on cruising mode, focused on getting into the basin. What a fantastic place to camp The wild flowers were amazing! We climbed the Coxcomb, Wetterhorn, and some no name thirteeners. It looks like you did the north side of the Coxcomb. Was that a new route( first ascent?) What a great area of Colorado!

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 6, 2011 9:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Read

Wow, sounds like you had an exciting trip. No, I don't think it was first ascent. It is a common descent route, and we ended up just below the belay anchors. It was easy, just one pitch.
I love San Juans too.

imontop

imontop - Oct 9, 2011 9:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow!

Great stuff Liba!

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 10, 2011 2:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!

Thanks for visiting. I think it is a great route, and amazing scenery.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 10, 2011 10:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Points of Concern

Hi James, I already had a link to Telluride Mountain club via ferrata info. I did not know that somebody took a 70 foot fall on it - I guess they had no security system set up. This page was not meant as a route description, but more as an information.
I understand that it does have very difficult and exposed sections, and I would not go there unprotected.
I was hoping to honor Kroger, and write about this unique experience. Thanks, for your comment.

ozarkmac

ozarkmac - Oct 10, 2011 4:36 am - Voted 10/10

Terrific photos

and very interesting read. Thanks!

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 10, 2011 3:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Terrific photos

Thank you for visiting and comment.

darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Oct 10, 2011 7:57 am - Voted 10/10

Mixed response

I'm non sure about this. I've enjoyed ferrata routes in Europe immensely, but I'm not sure if it's such a good idea in the USA. Maybe if it is limited...this route for example was put up by a dedicated team who knew what they were doing, and had experienced climbing in both continents, and it shows in the quality and planning. But even European climbers are starting to realize that via ferrata can only go so far before it gets silly. In a country where one cannot use a power drill on the walls of Yosemite, and you have to pay a huge fee to climb a virtually privately owned via ferrata outside Jackson WY, one has to wonder where this is going. Your page looks like the most sane development so far...

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 10, 2011 3:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mixed response

Thanks, I understand your mixed response. When one mentions via ferrata, I think of the Alps. I think this one is well designed and safe. Definitively, not a destination of a via ferrata person - Dolomites would be a better place to go to.
So far, this route is free, but there are some talks about closing it b/c many people go there unprepared, and many people do not know via ferrata's systems. Also, this route is hard to rate per via ferrata standards b/c it traverses horizontally, and requires a few downclimbing moves, which I think are harder than going up.

Viewing: 1-20 of 51

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.