Terminillo North-East side: some easy couloirs

Terminillo North-East side: some easy couloirs

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.47602°N / 12.98498°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: From F to PD
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Terminillo, NE sideCanalone Centrale (on the right)

Terminillo's north-east side offers several routes for winter-mountaineering. There are itineraries for all skills: from the hard mixed route, to the easy climb on snow.
In this page I report the easiest routes: these couloirs are good for less experienced mountaineers who want to practice this sort of climbs, because of their easiness and shortness.
Climbing the Tortuous CouloirClimbing Canale Tortuoso, March 2007

Climbing the Orsacchiotta CouloirOrsacchiotta Couloir, February 2007

The slopes are usually praticable from december to april: NE exposition (usually) preserves good conditions of snow.

Approach

Terminillo NE side mapMap
The start is from Sebastiani Hut: you can usually get there by car, following the road from Campoforogna. In winters with much snow (es. 2005/2006) the road is closed some Km before the hut: add a 40-minutes walk.
From Sebastiani Hut follow the path towards Sella di Leonessa and Sella delle Scangive (N): walk 40 minutes from the hut, and you'll have the early couloirs on your left.

Routes Description

Terminillo NE side 1, the routes

A few words for every route:

- Nr. 1 and Nr. 2 are easy (F, 30°/35°) and short, and they end about 50/100 meters on the left (W) of the summit.

- Nr. 3, Canalone Centrale, is simple (F, 35°/40°) and beautiful, and it’s the most crowded, especially for the descent.

- Nr. 4 is a bit more difficult of Centrale (F+, 40°/46°), and it joins the higher part of it after passing by a little saddle.

Terminillo NE side 2, the routes
- Nr. 5, Orsacchiotta (The Teddy Bear), is harder than nr. 4 (PD, 40°/52°): it goes straight to the north ridge, which it reaches about 30/50 m on the right (N) of the summit: it’s very beautiful and there are many rocks.

Terminillo NE side 3, the routesPhoto courtesy of www.montegeologo.com
- Nr. 6, Canale Tortuoso (Tortuous Couloir), is about as hard as nr. 5 (PD-, 40°/50°) and it starts about 100 m before Sella delle Scangive.

- About Chiaretti – Pietrostefani you can find excellent descriptions at this link

Essential Gear

Terminillo, climbing Orsacchiotta CouloirHelmet, crampons and ice-axe are necessary!
Ice-axe, crampons, helmet; rope depending on conditions (ice), but it isn't usually needed.

A short movie

The last meters of the Orsacchiotta Couloir, 23th of december 2007



Literature, maps, links

- Guides
"A piedi nel Lazio vol. 1"
, S. Ardito, contains a description of the group, but it doesn't contain report of alpinistic routes
- Cai-Tci Guide "Appennino Centrale", C. Landi Vittorj

- Maps :
"Monti Reatini", 1:25.000, edited by Cai-Rieti

- Snow conditions and avalanche danger:
Bollettino Meteonivologico Appennino Centrale
Meteo conditions and forecast for M. Terminillo

- Webcam Live
Terminillo north-east side view from Sebastiani hut (1820m)
Zoom on Terminillo north east side

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.