Terrace Canyon Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.11005°N / 115.51303°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6257 ft / 1907 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a seldom visited peak near the head of Pine Creek canyon.The elevation gain to the summit is about 2,250 and time required for the climb is a minimum of 6 hours for a fit climber.  Distance traveled to reach the summit and return using the loop route is an estimated 8 miles.  The views surrounding this summit are excellent with the view east looking down to the city of Las Vegas in the background is especially enjoyable.  To the north is Bridge Mountain and from this viewpoint one can see the "hidden forest" near the summit!  To the South and SE one views Rainbow Wall as well as Gunsight Notch Peak and Juniper Peak from a unique perspective.

IMG_0747lunch break
IMG_0745view east

Getting There

From Charleston Blvd and the 215 Beltway in the western part of Las Vegas, take Charleston Blvd (Hwy 159) west for about 5 miles until you reach the entrance to Red Rock Canyon NCA.  Once inside the park, follow the 13 mile loop road for about 10 miles to the Pine Creek trailhead parking area.  You should allow about 30 minutes driving time from the strip to the entrance station.  Reservations are now required to gain entry to the NCA as well as a pass.

Route

Begin hiking west into Pine Creek canyon.  There is an old cabin foundation you will encounter on your left as you make your way in after about a mile.  To this point, you have been following a trail which heads toward the pyramid shaped Mescalito Peak.  The Mescalito splits Pine Creek into two canyons and you must stay to the left side which is the main Pine Creek canyon and proceed up canyon.  As you hike in further, you will scramble up the canyon for probably a half mile until you reach a junction with Terrace/Gunsight canyons on your left.

Head left into this side canyon for another 1/4 mile looking for the next junction which splits this side canyon into Gunsight Notch canyon on your left and Terrace canyon on your right (straight ahead). 

IMG_0722[46744]cutoff to Terrace canyon
Head into Terrace canyon for a short distance until the vistas open up.  Start hiking up the numerous terraces.

IMG_0723[46745]terraces

Look for a cairn on your right which marks the beginning of the climb toward the peak.

IMG_0725[46746]start climbing
  Midway up the climb there is a crack which is the crux of the climb and is protected with some webbing and a rope as you climb through.
IMG_0730[46737]crux

IMG_0732[46738]above the crux
IMG_0744summit stroll

The descent is most easily made heading West toward the head of Pine Creek.  After a short distance, begin to descend down and toward your right into a large bowl of steep slabs which eventually will bring you down into Pine Creek and the long scramble back to the trailhead.  Due to the greater distance traveled, the return takes approximately as long as the climb.  The return is mostly class 1 or 2 with a few bouldering challenges as you descend the canyon.

Red Tape

National Park entrance fees apply in Red Rock NCA.  Also a reservation is now required to enter.  Hours of operation vary by season.  See Red Rock NCA Home Page

When to Climb

Spring and Fall are the peak seasons as it becomes expremely hot in the summer.  Winter can be an excellent time as well unless snow and ice accumulate from winter storms making the scrambling too hazardous.  This is most likely to occur in January and February.

Camping

There is a campground located south of SR159 two miles east of the entrance to Red Rock NCA.  There is no developed campground within Red Rock NCA, although backcountry camping with a permit is allowed.

External Links

Add External Links text here.