Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.95062°N / 105.28805°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7385 ft / 2251 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Fatiron is (quite literally) a fat piece of rock on the southern end of the Flatirons. It consists of two large pieces of rock separated by a large gash. It sits immediately north of the famous Maiden and offers excellent views of the Maiden's famous North Face route. It is one of Gerry Roach's elusive "Top 10" Flatiron climbs and is a great place to go find some solitude on a quality rock.


The Fatiron
The Fatiron


Getting There

There is a very complicated system of trails in this part of the Flatirons. This leads to there being several ways to get there and you could argue which is better. I will describe one and as you get familiar with the area you can make up your mind.



Begin at the South Mesa Trailhead.

After being bewildered by the array of trails all basically going to the same place, head up the Mesa Trail. Follow signs for the Mesa trail and keep on track until you reach an intersection with the Shadow Canyon trail. You will be below the Maiden and the Fatiron at this point and near a landmark water trough built right by the intersection letting you know you are in the right place. Follow the Shadow Canyon trail up and keep a sharp eye out for a rock quarry and a faint road that heads off the trail to the right. Take off into the quarry and make your way through mostly open trees towards the Fatiron. Eventually you will bump into rock. Don't get too excited because this is actually the base of the Fatironette, but you are close. You can climb over the Fatironette at 4th class to the base of the rock or you can hike around the north side and then angle back to the saddle between the Fatiron and the Fatironette.

The Fatiron

Red Tape

While free of usual seasonal closures, it is always a good idea to check before you go. Check HERE for any unusual closures.

Only use clean climbing techniques so leave that hammer at home. This may seem obvious but I have discovered new pitons on routes recently.

Camping

There is no camping allowed in the Flatirons.

Descent

After rappelling west off of the western summit, you can weave your way through the brush off the north side of the rock. This bushwhack is fairly tame by Flatiron standards and although there is not really a trail, it passes quickly. Although I have not attempted it, I have heard the south side does not offer a hike-able route down.

The Fatiron

External Links

Here is a great interactive MAP of the area.

Here is a LINK to NOAA's weather site.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.