Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.40348°N / 105.51762°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8789 ft / 2679 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Twin OwlsThe Twin Owls.

The Twin Owls is the name given to a rock formation on the southeast side of Lumpy Ridge in Rocky Mountain National Park, CO. The rock formation looks amazingly just like two gigantic (200 foot tall) owls sitting on a perch (known as the Roosting Ramp).

It is likely the most widely known and recognized rock formation on Lumpy Ridge. It can also be seen from virtually anywhere in downtown Estes Park, and various businesses have included "Twin Owls" in their name.

Like many of the rock formations on Lumpy Ridge, The Twin Owls is popular with rock climbers. One of the area's most difficult rock climbs, Anaconda (5.13c), ascends the south face of the West Owl. Note that The Twin Owls is closed to climbing seasonally from March 1 through July 31 for breeding raptors.

The easiest approach to the top of The Twin Owls is via a chimney climb on the north side of the formation named The Bowels of the Owls (5.0).

The Twin Owls is ranked 126 out of 126 on Mountain Jim's Summits of Rocky Mountain National Park List making it the lowest peak on that list. It is unranked on Gerry Roach's Rocky Mountain National Park Summits List because it has only 169 feet of prominence over its parent peak, 'Gem Peak' 0.9 miles to the northeast.

The summit provides a nice view along the top of Lumpy Ridge to the west as well as views of the Longs Peak massif and peaks of the Continental Divide to the southwest.

Getting There

The easiest approach to The Twin Owls involves starting at the Lumpy Ridge Trailhead.

Red Tape

The Twin Owls is within Rocky Mountain National Park. Daily as well as annual passes are available.

Camping

Several campgrounds are available in the Park, some of which allow reservations. Backcountry camping is allowed in the Park in pre-defined backcountry campsites. Reservations are recommended, as some backcountry sites become reserved for the entire summer by March.

Seasons

The Twin Owls can be potentially be ascended in all seasons; however, icy conditions could obviously change what would normally be a rock climb into something completely different.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Dan Leonhard

Dan Leonhard - Oct 27, 2009 1:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Regarding the descent

I believe the standard descent is down the Bowels of the Owls, however I found a rap anchor on the back side of the east owl- couple of slings w/rings around a boulder, anchor was in good shape. 1 50ft rap to the top of the gully

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Mar 20, 2014 1:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Raptor Closure

The Twin Owls is currently closed: http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/area_closures.htm

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.