Tuxer Kreuzspitze

Tuxer Kreuzspitze

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9009 ft / 2746 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tuxer Kreuzspitze is the northern neighbour of Rosenjoch, the highest peak of the northwestern part of Tuxer Alpen. Whereas Rosenjoch is more of a broad ridge with a summit which could host more than 100 people easily, Tuxer Kreuzspitze is a rather steep and rocky outcrop with three sharp ridges to the south (Rosenjoch), north (Glungezer) and west (Durrenseespitze and Morgenkogel) and consequently a smaller and sharp rock summit.

Tuxer Kreuzspitze and Rosenjoch with Wipptal as seen from Peilspitze
Tuxer Kreuzspitze and Rosenjoch with Wipptal as seen from Peilspitze
Tuxer Kreuzspitze south ridge
Tuxer Kreuzspitze south ridge

Nevertheless Tuxer Kreuzspitze is an easy hiking and skiing summit. Only the south ridge requires some rock scrambling to reach the summit. There is a steel rope helping you up or down.

Standing high above the beautiful cirques of Rosengarten / Durrensee to the west and Seegrube to the northwest, Tuxer Kreuzspitze is a mountain worth a visit. The most interesting traverse is that from Glungezer to Grafmartspitze, including Tuxer Kreuspitze as one of several summits. It is a hike with some rock scrambling and a breathtaking panorama. Equally interesting is the ascent via Arztal valley, including Rosenjoch with a short loop route.

 

Getting There

Main trailheads for Tuxer Kreuzspitze is Oberellbögen or Meissner Haus.

You can reach Oberellbögen trailhead by car.

  • Leave highway A 13, Innsbruck – Brenner best at the exit “Patsch”, coming from the north or “Matrei”, coming from the south.
  • From exit Patsch head for the village of Patsch. Leaving the village go right onto Römerstraße / Ellbögener Landesstraße and follow this road until you arrive at Ellbögen. Turn left on Oberellbögen road and follow this road up to th hiker parking area “Oberellbögen / Hinterlarcher" (parking fee).
  • At Matrei go on road number 181, direction Innsbruck and turn left in the direction of Pfons. After the village follow Ellbögener Landesstraße until you reach Ellbögen, turn right on Oberellbögen road for the parking area.
Tuxer Kreuzspitze summit with the broken summit cross (august 2019)
Tuxer Kreuzspitze summit with the broken summit cross (august 2019)
Summit view to Rosenjoch
Summit view to Rosenjoch

For Meissner Haus use best Patscherkofel cable car (highway exit "Patsch", then to Patsch village and straight on to Patscherkofel valley station) to the summit and descend via Boscheben to Meissner Haus

Nearest railway station is Matrei am Brenner. There is, as far as I know, a bus number 4141 running between Matrei and Innsbruck railway station with a bus stop “Ellbögen / Gattinger” where Oberellbögen road branches off Ellbögener Landesstraße. ¾ hours walk from there to the trailhead

For Arztaler Alm and for Meissner Haus exist a private shuttle service which can be booked here.

Routes Overview

Tuxer Kreuzspitze routes overview
Tuxer Kreuzspitze routes overview

Trailhead Oberellbögen / Hinterlarcher (dark red route on the topo map)

Parking area – Hinterlarcher – forest road to Arztal Alm – trail junction before reaching Arztal Hochleger – left hand trail to trail junction below Rosengarten cirque.

Take the trail straight on to Rosengarten cirque and Durrensee. Climb up the col between Durrenseespitze and Tuxer kreuzspitze and use the steep west ridge to the summit.

For a nice loop scramble down the west ridge of Kreuzspitze, traverse to Rosenjoch summit and return to the above mentioned trail junction via Rosenjoch west ridge.

Arztal valley near Arztaler Alm
Arztal valley near Arztaler Alm
Arztal Hochleger
Arztal Hochleger

Trailhead Meissner Haus (orange route on the topo map)

Meissner Haus - Viggar Niederleger - Seegrube - west ridge to the summit

Durrensee
Durrensee
Durrensee, Durrenseespitze and the Rosengarten cirque
Durrensee, Durrenseespitze and the Rosengarten cirque

Ski Routes

  • The Arztal ski route follows mainly the summer route via Rosengarten and Durrensee. 
  • Another ski route uses the route from Meissner Haus to Seegrube and the col between Tuxer Kreuzspitze and Durrenseespitze.
West ridge of Tuxer Kreuzspitze
West ridge of Tuxer Kreuzspitze
South ridge scramble to Tuxer Kreuzspitze
South ridge scramble to Tuxer Kreuzspitze

Traverse routes (yellow routes on the above topo map):

  1. Coming from Patscher Kofel or Glungezer (both ascents can be done with a cablecar) you can traverse the easy ridge Patscherkofel – Viggarspitze – Glungezer – Gamslauer Spitze – Kreuzjöchl – Tuxer Kreuzspitze – Rosenjoch.
  2. Another traverse is possible, starting at Naviser Hütte or at Lizumer Hütte – Klammjoch – Mölsjoch – Grafmartspitze – Grünbergspitze – Rosenjoch -Tuxer Kreuzspitze; Descend to Meissner Haus or proceed to Glungezerhütte.

 

Red Tape & Accommodation

The Tuxer Kreuzspitze has no restrictions, as far as I know.

 

Accommodation can be found at:

Matrei am Brenner

Ellbögen

Pfons

Patsch

A fat frog near Durrensee
A fat frog near Durrensee
Campanula alpina near the summit
Campanula alpina near the summit

Mountain huts:

Arztaler Alm (private hut, overnight stay possible)

Meissner Haus

Glungezer Hütte

Naviser Hütte

Lizumer Hütte

 

Gear & Mountain Condition

Tuxer Kreuzspitze can be summited the whole year.

In summer and autumn Tuxer Kreuzspitze is an easy but rather long hike which requires hiking gear and good boots. Some traverse routes require easy rock scrambling!

In winter and spring you need full ski tour and avalanche gear. Check the Tirol avalanche bulletin here.

Trail junction Arztaler route: Rosengarten or Rosenjoch west ridge ...
Trail junction Arztaler route: Rosengarten or Rosenjoch west ridge ...
Rosengarten - Durrrensee route to Tuxer Kreuzspitze
Rosengarten - Durrrensee route to Tuxer Kreuzspitze

Current Weather

Valley weather (Ellbögen)

Mountain weather (Patscherkofel)

 

Map

Alpenvereinskarte, scale 1 : 50.000

Number 31/5, Innsbruck

with trails and UTM-grid

edition 2018



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Tux AlpsMountains & Rocks