Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.68740°N / 107.50291°W
Additional Information County: San Juan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 13110 ft / 3996 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

13110 from Mt. Nebo13110 from Mt. Nebo
Summit cairnSummit cairn
Unnamed 13110 is an easy low 13er located in the remote Weminuch Wilderness of San Juan Mountains Colorado. The peak is usually climbed together with Mount Nebo and Unnamed 13230 A. The trip could be done as a nice backpack along the Continental Divide Trail starting from Beartown/Kite lake Trailhead, or as a day trip from the same trailhead. I did it in one day. Most of the hiking is along a trail and is very scenic. 

Colorado Rank: 561

Quad: Storm King Peak

Parent Lineage: Proximate Parent: Mount Nebo   Line Parent: UN 13308

Class: 2

Wilderness: Weminuche 

Nearby Peaks:

Getting There

Marked Continental Divide TrailMarked Continental Divide Trail
The closest 4 WD access is from Beartown/Kite Lake Trailhead. 

Driving Directions to Beartown and Hunchback Pass TH (this section of the trail is also Continental Divide Trail): The road is in a pretty bad condition, especially close to the trailhead. Expect about 2.5 hrs drive from Silverton (some sections you will be driving only 1-2 miles per hour). 
From Silverton drive on County Road 2 to Howardsville and turn here onto FR 589 marked for Cunningham Gulch and Stony Pass. You have to options here: stay lower or take a higher road for the Old Mine Tour, it does not matter which road you take since they both connect later on. At the point where these 2 roads come together, take a left turn for Stony Pass - well marked.
The road climbs steeply and is narrow at some sections making travel difficult if vehicles coming from the opposite directions (often one car has to back up to spot wide enough where vehicles can pass). Stony Pass is a pretty area, lots of wildflower in the summer, and access to several 13ers. The descent from Stony Pass towards Pole Creek seems dragging, the crossing over the stream can be problematic early in the season. There are great campsites in this area. After crossing Pole Creek, the road goes steeply up and then splits with right fork heading towards Beartown/Kite Lake and left fork towards Creede - again well marked.
Soon, you will be crossing the Rio Grande - it is usually not much deeper than Pole Creek, but wider. It is an experience to drive your car through the Rio Grande River! Some people choose to drive from Creede side, but I think the road is tougher from the east side. 
From the Rio Grande crossing, continue on Beartown road for about 5.5 miles. The first section could be muddy with potholes and big puddles. Once you reach the Bear Creek crossing, the road becomes rougher, with lots of loose rocks and towards the end steep. If your vehicle is having trouble, park at the Bear Creek and walk the last mile on the road (I usually drive this section with a speed of 1 mile per hour anyway, so walking may be a better option). 
Hunchback Pass Trailhead is well marked, there is a parking spot for 2 cars right there and several more below and above. 
Beartown is just a site, there is nothing there! Buy all your supply prior to the trip. Beartown boomed in 1893 when a rich strike brought about 400 prospectors into the area, but it did not last long. They mined Sylvanite. 

Route

The first section of the hike is along Continental Divide Trail, which is easy to follow. Although after the section where Vallecito Trail branches southwest and Continental Divide Trail turn east, there were thick willows and the trail would benefit from some maintenance. I did UN 13230 A and Mount Nebo first, descended into the saddle between UN 13230/Nebo and UN 13110, crossed the Continental Divide Trail and went up easy south slopes of UN 13110. The summit had a cairn on it and I left there a glass register. The whole are is spectacular. 

Red Tape

Continental Divide Trail Continental Divide Trail
Continental Divide Trail Continental Divide Trail
The peak is located within Weminuche Wilderness, so wilderness rules apply. Weminuche Wilderness is the largest Wilderness area in Colorado. 

Follow the seven standard Leave No Trace principles while in the wilderness:
1) Plan Ahead and Prepare 
2) Travel and Camp on Durable surfaces
3) Dispose of Waste Properly
4) Leave what you Find
5) Minimize campfire impacts
6) Respect Wildlife
7) Be Considerable of Other Visitors. 
Wilderness Specific Regulations:
 Group size is limited to no more than 15 people per party. 
 Camping is prohibited within 100 feet of any water source. 
 Camping and all campfires are prohibited at the following locations: 
1. within 200 feet of Archuleta Lake, Fourmile Lake, and West Ute Lake 
2. within 1/2 mile of the north shore and 1/4 mile of other shores of Emerald Lake 
3. within 1/4 mile of Little Emerald Lake 
4. between the shore and Flint and La Osa Trails at Flint Lake; and within 200 feet of the west and north shores 
5. in Needle Creek drainage at Twin Lakes 
6. in the hot springs area at West Fork (Rainbow) 
 Campfires are also prohibited in all of Needle Creek Drainage (including Chicago Basin) and Vestal Basin. 
 Do not shortcut switchbacks. 
 Pets must be under verbal control or leashed at all times. 
 Disposal of human waste and wash water is prohibited within 100 feet of any water source. 
As with all designated Wilderness areas, mechanical transportation (including wagons, game carts, wheelbarrows, bicycles, or other vehicles) is prohibited.

When to Climb

This peak is very remote. Winter would mean a very long approach through avalanche-prone terrain. The best time to reach this peak is in summer and early fall. 

Camping

There are multiple campsites along the Continental Divide Trail - all primitive in beautiful nature. Just below Mount Nebe are several nice lakes asking you to spend some time there. 

There is also camping at the Hunchback Pass Trailhead and along the Beartown road on your drive-in. 

Developed campgrounds are very far, e.g. in Silverton and it is about 3 hr drive on rough roads from Bear Town. 

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Juan RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks