Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.10573°N / 107.49018°W
Additional Information County: Hinsdale
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 13222 ft / 4030 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

UN 13222UN 13222 as seen from Porphyry Basin
UN 13222UN 13222
Unnamed 13222 is a ranked 13er located in a beautiful Cimarron Range of San Juan Mountains. Colorado has 584 ranked 13ers and many are unnamed. Despite lacking its name, this peak offers an interesting scramble and great views. There are 2 unnamed peaks with the same elevation and both are in San Juans, this one is sometimes labeled as 13222 B.

Peak can be climbed alone or combined with other 13ers along a ridge. A common combination is with 13340A, "El Punto", Heisshorn. 

Colorado Rank: 460

Quad: Uncompahgre Peak

Parent Lineage: 13340 ("Porphyry Peak")

Wilderness: Uncompahgre

Class: 4

Nearby Peaks:

Getting There

Pophyry Basin TrailPophyry Basin Trail
WaterfallWaterfall

The Middle Fork Trailhead: Follow US Hwy 50 for about 20 miles east from Montrose (or 40 miles west from Gunnison) to the intersection with County Road 858 - well signed for Silver Jack Reservoir. At 18.7 miles you reach Silver Jack Reservoir, continue for another mile to forest service road 861.1 - Middle Fork. Turn right  and follow this road for 4.6 miles to end at a large parking area. 

If you have time, stop for a short stroll to a beautiful waterfall about 1.5 miles from the trailhead. There is marker for the trail at the road and a small pull out parking lot. 

Route

UN 13222UN 13222 - class 4
UN 13222UN 13222 - class 3
Follow the Middle Fork Trail #227 until the intersection with Porphyry Basin. The trail travels south following the Middle Fork Cimarron River at a gentle grade. In approximately 0.03 miles the trail enters the Uncompahgre Wilderness. It continues though Spruce/fir and aspen and at approximately 2.2 miles it intersects the Porphyry Basin Trail # 243 just before crossing a small drainage. There is a sign. 

Take the trail to Porphyry Basin - the trail follows a small drainage as it turns left and begins to switchback up above the cliffs through a channel cut by the stream. Porphyry Basin is fairly flat and sits at approximately 12,600 to 12,800 feet. Pinnacle Ridge rises up in the west with peaks rising to 13,222 and 13,315 feet. The entire length of this trail is in the Uncompahgre Wilderness. 

UN 13222 is not initially visible. Keep going up ascending the grassy slopes until you see the shape of the peak (see photo). The terrain will change into gravel. The goal is to reach the saddle east of UN 13222. From the saddle traverse on loose ledges, loose terrain and follow small cairns. The route initially traverses, then it switchbacks back at class 3, it has some rest ledge with more stable terrain. At some point you reach class 4 section, which is pretty solid and does require a few small climbing moves on relatively stable holds. Once above this only a few class 3 moves will get you to the ridge and from there it is an easy stroll to the summit. The views are spectacular. 

Red Tape

Parking, hiking, and even primitive camping are free. The peak is located in Wilderness area, so wilderness area rules apply. 

Leave No Trace. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces. Dispose of Waste Properly. Leave What You Find. Minimize Campfire Impacts. Respect Wildlife. Be Considerable of Other Visitors. 

When to Climb

Summer and early autumn are the easiest with roads being open. Winter provides a long approach and avalanche danger. Spring could be an a nice outing and the scree slopes could be still covered with snow. 

Camping

There is great free camping along the Middle Fork Road. It is also possible to sleep at the trailhead. 

Developed campground would be Silver Jack Campground

External Links