If somebody likes skiing and is not familliar with tour skiing, take him to Veliki Draški vrh. He simply must fall in love with tour skiing! If not, don't take him anywhere else. The ski tour and summer hike will be described in the Routes section.
To the west and south the Bohinj world lies. Over the South Bohinj Ridge the view flies freely over the Slovenian forehills.
To the east vast forests of Pokljuka high plateau lie. This plateau is a wonderland for cross-country skiing in winter (usually there are kilometers of well prepared tracks) and for hiking and cycling in summer. In distance the Sava valley and beyond it Karavanke range and Kamnik Alps can be seen.
The easiest way to climb Veliki Draški vrh is from the south-east. You start either on Rudno polje or on Uskovnica alpine meadow. The road to Rudno polje brings you on the Pokljuka plateau either from Bled resort or from Bohinj valley. From Rudno polje a macadam roads can bring you in summer even further, to a small parking place below Konjščica alpine meadow. From there you can reach the summit in good two hours. Uskovnica is the biggest alpine meadow in Eastern Julian Alps. By car it can be reached from the upper Bohinj valley, from the village, called Srednja vas. From Uskovnica you reach Konjščica in one hour and the summit of Veliki Draški vrh in three hours.
To climb the north face of Veliki Draški vrh, you drive from Mojstrana in Sava valley to the end of road in Krma valley. Now the trailhead is on the altitude of about 1100m.
Information on broader area you can find on the Julian Alps page.
Julijske Alpe - Vzhodni del (Eastern part). Planinska zveza Slovenije. 1:50000.
Julijske Alpe - Triglav. Planinska zveza Slovenije. 1:20000.
Veliki Draški vrh and some of its routes
Below, some general mountaineering possibilities are listed:
1. Normal ascent. Konjščica - Jezerce - Studorski preval - SE slope - summit. Not marked, but quite easy hike. If you go from Studorski preval (saddle) directly by the ridge, you have a few easy rocks. This normal route is in winter also used as a ski tour.
2. The ridge Mali Draški vrh - Veliki Draški vrh. On descending Mali Draški vrh you have to climb over a few easy rock sections (UIAA II). Then a long, steep, grassy ridge continues. On the saddle between the both peaks you hit the marked path, which goes horizontally from Srenjski preval (saddle) to Studorski preval (saddle). But you don't need to follow it. You can climb Veliki Draški vrh directly over the east slope and roof (easy scramble, not marked).
3. The ridge Veliki Draški Vrh - Tosc. If you want to continue by the main ridge above Krma valley, it goes fine down on the saddle between Veliki Draški vrh and Tosc. From there to Tosc you will need to climb over a rocky ridge (UIAA II-III).
4. Skiing down by the south-west slope. From the summit of Veliki Draški vrh you can also ski down into the valley between Veliki Draški vrh and Tosc. The ski descent is steep, but in good conditions possible. Only logistically it is a misery. Unless you continue on Velo polje, you must climb back on Studorski preval (saddle) and from there return to Konjščica.
5. In north wall there are several harder climbing routes. Some of them are:
- Dolar-Kilar-Vavken in 'Trapez', IV-V, 400m (first climbed 12.8.1951),
- Viktorija, VI+, 700m,
- Centralna smer, V, A0/IV, 600m,
- Poševna zajeda, IV-, 500m.
Red TapeThe whole Eastern Julian Alps are national parc. You can drive by the above mentioned roads at no fee.
When To ClimbFor the summer ascent the best months are from July till October. For tour skiing usually the best conditions are from February till April. Otherwise in good conditions the mountain can be climbed any time of the year.
Weather: see the official page for Slovenia here.
Even better site is wunderground - here's the direct link to Kredarica station, 2515m (below Triglav summit).
CampingOn Pokljuka plateau you can sleep in Sport Hotel.
On Uskovnica, on 1154 meters, there's a mountain hut: Planinska koča na Uskovnici, Mobile: +38631 341 814 or +38650 645 528. Stationary: +386 4 572 32 13. The hut has 46 beds and is opened from start of June till mid October.
In Krma valley, on 870 meters, there's a mountain hut called: Kovinarska koča. Stationary: +386 4 580 63 96. The hut has 15+12 beds and is opened from start of June till end of September.
If you are arriving from the central part of Triglav group, you can also use Vodnikov dom on Velo polje, 1817m. 53 beds, winter room with 10 beds. Opened from begin of June till mid of October. Cell phone.: (050) 615621, stationary phone: (04) 5723213.
There are camping places in Bohinj valley and in Sava valley.