Whale Rock

Whale Rock

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This short climb starts on the main park road at the pullout just before the end of the road at Upheaval Dome.

Route Description


From the parking lot the route climbsupand over the crest of a small hill. From the top the route continues down into a small u-shaped valley.thetrail goes up this valley and onto the slickrock below Whale Rock. climb up Whale Rock's shallow northern slopes on smooth slickrock to the summit. You will climb over two stairwells, and the final twnety feet to the summit are very fairly steep. The view from the top includes Upheaval Dome, and many of the canyons around Island in the Sky.

Essential Gear


Shoes with good tread are absolutely necessary for climbing on the slickrock. Water and sun protection are also a good idea.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.