You've Come A Long Way!

You've Come A Long Way!

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Introduction

"There are moments that, once lived, make life never quite the same again.
And there are people who, once met, are instantly part of your life fabric,
and you know without an ounce of doubt that they will be part of that weave for the rest of your life."

----Jennifer Jordan, Savage Summit

For me and probably many who attend Outward Bound, life is never quite the same again. It can be a sweaty, difficult, cold, profound and at times, even ridiculous experience that stays with you forever. But I can still recite the names of my crewmates 28 years later and remember fondly our two instructors who never kept us from making mistakes!

Perhaps for me, the most significant meaning came from a comment made by an instructor as I was tackling the high ropes course. I was moving along the "tightrope" section, clipped to a line above and standing out in the center of the 60' or so cable. I suddenly panicked and called out "I can't..." But of course, I could. The words had tumbled out of mouth without thought. Kate, the instructor quietly said, "Do you realize you have said that about every task you successfully completed so far today?" I was horrified at myself. I hurried across the cable and finished the ropes course but in reality, my work had really just begun.

I recently uncovered my Instamatic slides of this 23 day adventure and decided to create this album commemorating my experiences with my crew: NCP- 158

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
yatsek

yatsek - Dec 29, 2008 6:32 am - Voted 10/10

Fun

Fun collection, so full of memories; to me, also fun to compare what it was like across the Iron Curtain. 1981 happened to be the only year I could escape to the States. I decided to stay - I wish I had gone.
Thanks for sharing, Kathy.
Cheers,
Jacek

silversummit

silversummit - Dec 29, 2008 8:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun

You're welcome! It's good to reflect now and then!
Kathy

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Dec 29, 2008 8:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Job!

Nice job Kathy, putting all these together...in a nice original way I might add.

It's funny, but I remember looking into Outward Bound about that same 80s time frame. Never got around to getting serious about it though...and then the years flew by...and have lost interest since then.

Thanks for sharing,
Mark

silversummit

silversummit - Dec 29, 2008 9:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Job!

Thanks for your kind words Mark! I wanted to make it feel more like a real photo album instead of just a group of pictures.
Kathy

myrone

myrone - Aug 6, 2009 8:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Well done! Again

Well done and very well received........
Thank you,
Myrone

silversummit

silversummit - Aug 6, 2009 9:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done! Again

Thanks!

Kathy

silversummit

silversummit - Oct 16, 2009 8:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: What a really cool album!

Alec, thank you for looking at my album pages. If you liked Jennifer Jordan's writing you might also enjoy that book which I reviewed on this site. Did you do OB? I still find myself remembering tidbits even today.

I see by your map that you haven't gotten out to Washington state yet. That was the highlight of my last last year --- go! Olympic NP is a SP dream.

Again thank you for taking the time to go back in time with me!
Kathy

Viewing: 1-7 of 7


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.