Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.18919°N / 20.05074°E
Additional Information Elevation: 7125 ft / 2172 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of the biggest rock gendarmes in Tatras, in a group of Cubryna and Mieguszowieckie Szczyty. Faces' heights: north 90 meters, south-east 70 meters. First climbed in 1904 (summer) and 1910 (winter). The easiest climb reaches the top of Zadni Mnich through western ridge from Ciemnosmreczynska Przelaczka at 2115 m. (difficulty: I, strictly through the ridge: II-III). Descent by rappeling through south-east ridge to Przelaczka pod Zadnim Mnichem at 2135 m. There are two rappelling alternatives - 1) 45 meters rappel directly from the top (sling on a block) to south-east to Przelaczka pod Zadnim Mnichem or 2) 30 m. rappel along 'Masowanie Kompleksow', reach the anchors by lowering 5 meters from the top towards the north, II). You can also descent on foot through western ridge (I) to Ciemnosmreczynska Przelaczka or - from the middle of the western ridge turn left and descend through the north-west face to Przelaczka pod Zadnim Mnichem (II).

Getting There

From Zakopane drive by car or by bus to Polana Palenica (you can park your car there). Then go on foot (or by a horse cart) 10 km to Morskie Oko (Eye of the Sea) shelter at 1395 m. Starting from the shelter take a tourist trail to Szpiglasowa Przelecz (Szpiglasowa Pass). When the trail divides into two, take left leading to Wrota Chalubinskiego (Chalubinski Gate) and after approx. 50 meters - just before reaching Stawki Staszica (Staszic Ponds) at 1800 m. - leave tourist track and turn left taking narrow path heading up to Mnich which is well seen during almost the whole approach. Zadni Mnich is located behind a Mnich.

When To Climb

All over the year. Summer conditions are the best starting with early July till late October.

Camping

Stay in Morskie Oko shelter (open all year long, phone: +48 18 2077609) or - from July to August - at mountaineering camp at Wlosienica (10 minnutes below the shelter).

Weather information

To find an information on weather go to: ICM or IMGW. The information about avalanche security is available at: TOPR.

Miscellaneous Info

Zadni Mnich might be a good place to spend a day for climbers who like short and well protected routes. Advisable especially for a poor weather with regards to a quick and easy retreat.

General Information about Tatra Mountains

A good info page about the Tatra Mountains.

Usefull links

More info about climbing in Morskie Oko basin.