A taste of Glacier National Park

A taste of Glacier National Park

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.61112°N / 113.81836°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 4, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Raw Beauty

Swiftcurrent Peak
Swiftcurrent Lake outlet stream
So when I left Colorado on the second of July due to the beginning of the monsoons, I decided to make a visit through Glacier National Park and drive through parts of Montana I have never been to. I drove continuously from about two in the afternoon on the 2nd from Denver to 10 in the morning on the 3rd and spent two days in the park.

I was hoping to be able to hike around, maybe see some beautiful high alpine lakes and summit a couple things but when I heard that the Going to the Sun road wasn't even open yet that plan hit the toilet. So I decided to make it a photography trip.

I started by coming into St. Mary and entered the park and drove to the road closure stopping at places along the way. I managed a small hike and a summit attempt on a small unnamed point above the road. This point still had decent elevation of a little over 8000 feet and wasn't too snowy but very loose scree turned me around. I got about two-thirds the way up and turned around at the meadow line.

The rest of that day I drove around taking photos. I did another small hike to Redrock Lake and took more photos. I camped the night in horrible bugs at Lake Sheburne.

The second day I spent the morning at Swiftcurrent Lake taking sunrise photos and then drove out. The drives on those Montana State roads are rough. Many areas where entire sections of the road are falling off the mountain. Very scenic though.

Met friends that afternoon at Flathead Lake and crashed at their place before heading to Twisp the next day to start my Chelan Sawtooth backpacking trip I posted a trip report for a few days ago.

Photos

Swiftcurrent Lake...Swiftcurrent Lake outlet

First light...Swiftcurrent Lake
Swiftcurrent LakeSwiftcurrent Lake

Swiftcurrent Lake inlet View on the trail to Redrock Lake
Swiftcurrent Lake outletSwiftcurrent Lake outlet stream

Glacier NPGlacier National Park
St Mary LakeThe Emerald St. Mary Lake

Swiftcurrent sunriseSwiftcurrent Lake
St Mary reflectionSt. Mary Lake reflection

Redrock LakeRedrock Lake
The swimming holeStream above Redrock Lake

St Mary reflectionSt. Mary Lake reflection
Divide PeakDivide Peak

Still snow lngeringStill lots of snow below Goat Peak
Raging stream...Looking up at a huge vertical cliff

St. Mary Lake and rugged peaks

St. Mary Lake and rugged peaks


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Table of Contents