First Time on the Skyline Experience

First Time on the Skyline Experience

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.75053°N / 113.63708°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 1, 2012
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer



After several years of hiking in Glacier National Park, I decided it was time to go big. As far as I could tell, the Skyline Experience is one of the bigger things folks do in the park. And given my existing love for Mt. Siyeh and Cracker Lake, it seemed like a natural choice. The previous year a group of us had climbed Piegan Mountain. At the top I couldn't stop looking over at Siyeh, thinking: Next year…

Planning started almost immediately upon my return home (Central Minnesota). With the help of Gordon Edwards and Distressebark's very helpful (and beautifully photographed!) route description, I spent the next year planning, training, and looking for a group to accompany me. I finally nailed down one unwitting soul, my friend Tyler. He didn't really know, or care that much, about my descriptions of what we were about to do, he just thought it sounded like a good time. He's a pretty wild guy, so I wasn't too concerned about his abilities. I figured, heck, if he can bike across Europe and Asia, he can probably handle a long walk in the mountains.

Initially we were planning on also hiking the Floral Park route, but due to my hitting a deer outside of Browning and thereby wrecking a brand new Ford Focus, we only had one good day to use... and man was it good!

Hope you enjoy! And may I also express my gratitude for this community. You were a part of this from the beginning.

If you'd like a bit more of the back story, I've also posted a trip report over at Glacier National Park Chat.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Mount SiyehTrip Reports