Angletarn Pikes

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.52539°N / 2.90636°W
Additional Information County: Cumbria
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1860 ft / 567 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Angletarn PikesThe Higher summit of Angletarn Pikes.

Angletarn Pikes is a fell located just a couple of miles south east of Patterdale, near the southern end of Ullswater. To the north of the fell is Boredale Hause and the remains of a chapel and to the south is the lovely Angle Tarn which occupies a natural shelf. Wainwright describes the tarn as ‘among the best in Lakeland’ and is a favourable spot for wildcamping. The peak is made up of two summits of which the northern most is the highest by around 6ft. The best view is from the lower summit where there is an uninterrupted view down to Angle Tarn to the south as well as views east to High Raise and west to Helvellyn.

The most popular routes of ascent start at either Patterdale or Hartsop of which the routes are explained under the ‘routes’ section. Most direct ascents take about 1.5 hours to get to the summit at an average pace of 3kmh.

Getting There

Angletarn PikesThe twin peaks of Angletarn Pikes.

Angletarn Pikes is located a couple of miles south east of Patterdale which is along the A592 north of Windermere and Ambleside. Parking is available in Patterdale, as well as in Hartsop just to the south and on the north side of Brothers Water. To get to Windermere follow the A591 from Kendal which is just off the M6. If coming from the east side of the country then the easiest way is to follow the A59 and A65 west from Harrogate just off the A1(m).

Route

Routes up Angletarn PikesRoutes up Angletarn Pikes

Route 1 - Red Route
This is the most simple and direct route to the summit. It starts off in Patterdale and follows a country lane towards Rooking followed by a footpath signposted to Boredale Hause. The diagonal path is a delight with fantastic views to the south and west. After arriving at the hause the path turns south and skirts Dubhow Beck towards the summit which is now clearly visible.

Route 2 - Green Route
This is a longer alternate route to the Red Route and starts at Hartsop (where there is a free car park). The route follows the lane back towards Brothers Water but turns north along a bridleway and up to Boredale Hause. From the hause the route takes a U-Turn to head south to Angletarn Pikes.

Route 3 - Yellow Route
This route starts off in Martindale and follows the valley floor of Boredale before heading uphill to Boredale Hause and joins the main path near the chapel. The route turns south to join the main path to Angletarn Pikes.

Route 4 - Blue Route
This is one of the longer ascents and starts in Hartsop. It follows Hayeswater Gill east up to Hayeswater Reservoir. The route then heads north to head up on the plateau and then turns north west past Angle Tarn and o the Pikes.

Route 5 - Purple Route
This is an alternate route to the Yellow Route and starts in Martindale. Head south from Martindale to the farm called Dale Head then proceed south west along a bridleway up onto Beda Fell. The route then sticks to the higher ground and a pathless section takes you around Heckbeck Head and to the Pikes.

Red Tape

Angletarn PikesThe lower summit of Angletarn Pikes - taken from the higher summit.

No Red Tape.

When to Climb

Angle TarnAngle Tarn from the lower summit.

Angletarn Pikes can be climbed all year round. Basic winter skills should be known when climbing the fell in the snow and can be an excellent training ground for people starting Winter Mountaineering.

Camping

Sykeside Campsite is located just near Brothers Water on the A592 about 3 miles to the south west. The campsite is open all year round. Angle Tarn is a popular spot for wild camping although it is not completely legal in the National Park.

External Links

Angletarn Pikes Photos and Information

History

Just to the north of Angletarn Pikes is Boredale Hause where the Ordnance Survey marks the ‘Chapel in the Hause’. Although little remains of this building, it was once a chapel that serviced the communities in Patterdale and Martindale until churches were built closer to those villages.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The Lake District (UK)Mountains & Rocks