Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.66065°N / 77.5383°W
Additional Information County: Washington
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1560 ft / 475 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Buzzard Knob is a minor high point on the long South Mountain ridge in Maryland.  The nearest town is Smithburg.  Buzzard Knob happens to be just a few miles west of the presidential retreat at Camp David, which lies atop Catoctin Mountain.  My estimation is that Buzzard Knob would be of little interest to all but shameless peakbaggers, and those who climb something just because they like its name.  However, it is indeed a local high point, and it offers somewhat of a view.  And to make it sporting, reaching the summit requires a brief amount of scrambling. 

The summit of Buzzard Knob actually reminds me of Wolf Rock, a very popular destination in Catoctin Mountain Park, which is just a few miles to the east.  However, Buzzard Peak is not in a park, and no trail leads to the top.  It is not even visible from the nearby Appalachian Trail (AT), due to dense vegetation.  But, if you know where it is, there is some fun scrambling to be found, and some (limited) views.  The best views are probably the partial views to the northwest from the northern part of the summit area.

Getting There

From Washington, DC:

Take 270 north, continue onto 15 north, then turn west onto MD 77 (Foxville Road) and go about 7.5 miles.

Parking is available on the south side of the road, near the AT crossing point.  The AT crosses MD 77 between Hopkins Lane and Pleasant Valley Road.  This parking area happens to be about six miles west of the trailhead for Cat Rock.

Route

This route approaches Buzzard Knob from the south via the Appalachian Trail.

Cross MD 77 (Foxville Road) and head north on the AT.  At first the trail heads straight across an open field, but within a few minutes it enters the woods and becomes sinuous, with moderate ascents and descents.  The hiking is pleasant, and in the summer it is much cooler in the woods than in open areas.

Start of Hike

The open field across from the parking area.

Pleasant Hiking along the Appalachian Trail

An old stone wall in the woods.

In about 1.5 miles there is a stream to cross, immediately followed by a crossing of Warner Hollow Road.  Turn left (west) on the road and walk a short distance to find the AT again.  Here the AT ascends steeply on the north side of the road, eventually passing a mere tenth of a mile east of Buzzard Knob at its closest point.  
Stream Crossing

The stream just south of Buzzard Knob.

When you sense something higher to your left, leave the AT at a point of your choosing and scramble to the top of Buzzard Knob.  A more gradual ascent can be performed by circling around Buzzard Knob's south end and approaching the summit from the southwest or west.  This approach is less steep, and the vegetation on the west side seems to be less dense and less thorny.  From Warner Hollow Road to the summit is only about 0.4 to 0.5 miles, depending on the approach taken.  Thus, this route is about four miles round trip. 

There is a summit candidate on the south side of the rock formation, and also one on the north side.  Both are easy to surmount.  There are limited views from the top, mainly to the west and northwest.

Summit

Looking from south to north on the summit.

Summit View

View to the northwest from the summit.

Red Tape

There is no red tape.  This is just a hike along the AT, with a brief detour to the west.

When to Climb

Buzzard Knob can be climbed at any time of year.  Winter is best for the least-obscured views and for minimizing annoying vegetation.

Camping

Camping is available at nearby Catoctin Mountain Park, a few miles to the east. Camping information

External Links

Information on buzzards


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

South MountainMountains & Rocks
 
Mountains of MarylandMountains & Rocks