Cow Mountain Ridge/Mendo Rock

Cow Mountain Ridge/Mendo Rock

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.13042°N / 123.07702°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3572 ft / 1089 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Cow Mtn. Ridge high point looking northwest
Northwest from Cow Mtn. Ridge
This is the ridge that extends south from Cow Mtn. (3,924') 3.5 miles to Lyons Valley in the North Cow Mtn. Recreation Area. Mendo Rock Rd. is the main road (passable to most all vehicles) that runs along the top of the ridge. This is in the northern Mayacamas Mountains between Clear Lake to the east and Ukiah in the Russian River valley to the west.
The high point is a hill with radio antennas at 3,572'. A short distance further up the road is Mendo Rock 3,377'. This is a rock outcrop about 30 ft. high across the road from an overlook.
The high point with antennas is private property.
 Mendo Rock is a very brief scramble next to the road that has outstanding views east to Clear Lake and west over Ukiah and the Russian River Valley to the coast range and ocean.

Getting There

 
East to Clear Lake from Mendo Rock
Mendo Rock overlook
 
Andre and Layla on Mendo Rock
On Mendo Rock with Cow Mtn Ridge high point back left
From Hwy. 101 in Ukiah Take Mill Creek exit and Mill Creek road east 4.7 miles to Mendo Rock Road. Take Mendo Rock Rd. (well graded dirt) 5.3 miles to the overlook at Mendo Rock.

Route to Mendo Rock

 
Mendo Rock from the north
Mendo Rock from the north
 
Southeast to Clear Lake from Cow Mtn. Ridge
East from the ridge
Walk through a narrow brush corridor right to the east face. The east and north side by the road is a sporting class 3-4. The south and west sides are class 2 walk up.
The 3,572' high point a half mile back across the the Mendo Rock Rd. is another brief walk up to an outstanding view east and west. Again it is on private prop. so make your own choice there.

Red Tape

 
North from Mendo Rock
North from Mendo Rock
For Cow Mtn. Recreaton Area rules and regs click here.

When to Climb

 
West from Mendo Rock
West from Mendo Rock
year around. It depends on the roads. Heavy rain or snow could close them. Check with the Cow Mtn. Recreation Area Recreation Area for road conditions.

Camping

 
Southeast from Cow Mtn. Ridge
Southeast from Cow Mtn. Ridge
Click here for camping and camp grounds.

Current weather and 10 day forecast

 
Mill Creek canyon west
Mill Creek Canyon going west into Ukiah
Click here for the weather and forecast for Ukiah.