Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.05215°N / 122.76936°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2533 ft / 772 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Clear Lake from Pine Mountain.
Clear Lake west  from Pine Mtn.
Clear Lake, nestled in the north Coast Range, is the 4th largest lake in California and the 2nd largest fresh water lake after Lake Tahoe which is  1/3 in Nevada. It is also considered to be one of the oldest lakes in North America.
This Pine Mountain rises 1,200' above Kono Tayee Point on the northeast side of the lake. It has pretty much open grassy slopes with live oaks sparsely scattered about. I did manage to see a small pine tree on the northeast slope.
The beautiful views of Clear Lake,  Mount Konocti and the Mayacamas Range in the distance are outstanding for minimal effort.
This is a short hike that can be done from lake level (1,325') or you can drive most of the way up a paved road through a small neighborhood and hike a dirt road a short distance to the open rolling summit.

Getting There

 
Pine Mtn. from Bald Mtn.
Pine Mtn. from Bald Mtn. to the east
From the junction of Hwy. 20 and Hwy. 53 on the east side of Clear Lake take Hwy. 20 10.8 miles northwest along the shore of the lake to Bruner Drive. Turn right on Bruner Drive and park in the little canyon where there is room for passing traffic.

Route

 
Mt. Konocti over Clear Lake
Mt. Konocti from Pine Mtn.
Hike up this steep paved road about a mile and up to the left to where the houses stop. Passing to the left of a water tank and continue on a dirt road another half mile to the top.
This is 3 miles round trip with 1,200' el gain.

If you are lazy, short on time, out of shape or just want instant gratification drive up to the end of the paved neighborhood and walk up the dirt road to the top.
It could be a nice hike with kids.
This is 1 mile round trip and 500' el. gain.

Red Tape

 
Winter sunlight on Clear Lake
Winter sunlight on Clear Lake
There are no posted restrictions for this hike

When to Climb

 
Cow Mountain west of Clear Lake
Cow Mtn. from Pine Mtn.
Year around.
There can be occasional snow storms with several inches to even more than a foot of snow.
It can get upwards of 100 degrees in summer.
 

Camping

 
Southeast Clear Lake from Pine Mtn.
Southeast end of Clear Lake
For Clear Lake State Park Campgrounds near Kelseyville on the south side of the lake click here.

Current weather and 10 day forecast

Clear Lake through oak silhouettes
Clear Lake through oak silhouettes
Click here for the weather for Clearlake Oaks.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.