Elliot Left Hand

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 52.12738°N / 116.45611°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade 4
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Upper Pitch - Elliot Left HandThe Spectacular Upper Pitch
This is a great climb situated in the obvious left hand drainage of Mt.Elliot. It is two drainages left of the David Thompson Classic - Kitty Hawk. You work your way into the narrow canyon via a long pitch of grade 3 ice and keep moving up. It has varied climbing throughout the first several pitches which eventually bring you to a hidden, long and sustained column of ice pouring off an impressive grey rock wall.

There is a significant avalanche slope above the climb so take adequate precautions to ensure that conditions are safe to proceed.

Getting There

No matter how you are approaching these climbs take the time to drive around and look for a climbers trail. It can save some serious bushwacking.

From the Icefields Parkway turnoff at Saskatchewan River Crossing travel about 36 km east on Hwy 11 and park where the obvious lower pitches of ice can be seen in Mt.Elliot's left drainage.

Google Map from the Icefields Parkway

From Nordegg travel around 52 km west on Hwy 11 and park on the side of the road where the lower pitches can be seen in the left hand drainage of Mt.Elliot.

Google Map from Nordegg

The Approach

First Views of Ellito Left HandThe Approach
If a climbers trail is not apparent, sight the climb from the road and start working your way up through the trees following the line of least resistance. There is a creek bed that comes down from the climb 1/3 of the way along. It may be easier to work your way through the creek bed, but it is less direct.

Eventually you will be forced into the creek bed where the climb will become apparent.

The approach is about 60 minutes.

Route Description

Pitch One Elliot Left HandThe First Pitch
From the base climb a long pitch of grade 3 ice. There is a new bolt and chain anchor to the climber`s left at almost 60 m. (Disregard the old 1/4 inch bolt and pin station to the right).
The Middle Pitches - Elliot Left HandThe Middle Section

Continue up some thin low angle ice and snow to a series of short ice steps and more snow slopes. These continue for a good 3 rope lengths and depending on your comfort level they can be simu-climbed. Finding good belays may be challenging and time consuming.

Atop the last snow slope and once your heart recovers from the slog up, you will see the final pitch of ice pouring over an equally impressive grey rockwall. This is a long and sustained pitch of ice that apparently forms in varying conditions. We found the pitch in thin condition compared to the picture in Joe Josephson´s guide Waterfall Ice and some other pics we found on the web. All said, the ice was in surpisingly good shape and protected well. It is sustained for the first 25-30 metres before it gradually kicks back to moderate ice steps.

Belay from the obvious tree to the climbers left.

The Descent

The Top Pitch - Elliot Left HandWorking the Final Pitch
Mandatory Downclimbing - Elliot Left HandSome Mandatory Downclimbing
Make a 50 metre rappel off of the tree to the climbers left atop the final pitch.

Start downclimbing through the snow and short ice steps. Continue until the downclimbing steepens significantly and appears too sketchy to down climb. Look for a bolt station on the climbers left of the canyon. It can be tough to see so watch for it on your way up. There were also signs of v-threads in the ice higher up and that may be an option for anyone not comfortable with the downclimbing. A full 60 metre rappel takes you to the last bolt and chain anchor atop the first pitch.

One more 55-60 metre rappel gets you to the base of the climb.

Essential Gear

Standard ice rack. We were glad to have our short screws for the top pitch.

Two 60 metre ropes are needed to get off the climb.

External Links

There are two great websites for ice conditions in the Canadian Rockies:

Gravsports-Ice

and

Live The Vision - Ice Conditions.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.