High Anxiety

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.74470°N / 98.5317°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb (Traditional)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.7
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Drive up the mountain for 1.4 miles to the third pull out on the north side of the mountain. Park at the third pullout and walk down 20 yards (east) to the end of the guardrail where a trail will begin left through the rocks. Follow the climbers trail down to the top of the crag. At the top of the crag, you can either rap High Anxiety (two anchors, 80 ft) or you can go left (west) and scramble down and around to the bottom.

Route Description

This is a classic line in the Wichtas and is very popular. First ascent by Eric Forney.

The route starts either on the face directly below the crack or on the right-facing face to the right of the crack. Either way, get to the crack (20 ft) at the corner which nicely takes a #2 Camalot. That's usually your first placement. Stay in the crack which takes medium cams. The crux is mid-way requiring an unexpected lay-back move. Finish/belay at two rap anchors. 80 ft.


High Anxiety: Route #2 (Click photo to enlarge)

Essential Gear

One 60 meter rope. Small to medium cams, set of stoppers. If top-roping, you will need long runners to avoid rope drag. Helmet.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.