Top Rope Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.74470°N / 98.5317°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb (Sport)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.11c
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive up the Mt. Scott road to the summit parking lot. Park in the parking lot on the north side. Walk back down the mountain road for about 75 yards (count 25 guardrail posts from the top). The trail(?) scrambles down a ramp to the right (east) for 30 ft, then switches to the left and scrambles down another 50 ft to the bottom of the wall. Continuing left (west) another 50 ft and scramble through a notch between huge boulders. After the notch, the route is on the wall to the left about 30 ft from the notch and immediately to the right of Foolish Behavior.

Route Description


There is a reason they call this Top Rope Route. That's because since Duane Raleigh and some of the other "old guys" of Oklahoma rock climbing, it has not been led that many times. However, it is leadable, just bring your nerve and your face climbing skills. It is a 70 foot route with only three bolts and the first bolt is about 15 feet up. The route is extremely crimpy and edgy, and was put up on lead in typical Raleigh style.

The first few moves are only 10.something. After the the first bolt, the difficulty picks up and is sustained through the next two bolts. The crux appears to be between the 2nd and 3rd bolt. The route eases slightly toward the end. Finish on a huge ledge and belay from a large boulder. First ascent: Duane Raleigh, Jim Ratzliff, 1982.

Click on this link for a topo of "Top Rope Route".

Essential Gear


One 60 meter rope. 3 quick draws. If top-roping, bring at least two 20-foot runners and a couple of 4 footers to anchor off of a large boulder.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.