Morning Glory Spire

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.88960°N / 111.7803°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5310 ft / 1618 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Morning Glory Spire has a very exciting 4th class route with a small summit block towering hundreds of feet above the desert floor, with plenty of exposure.

This spire gets very little traffic on the summit and there is no maintained trail to the base. One can complete this climb at a casual pace and be back to the car in less than a couple hours. Climbers may take any one of dozens of 3rd class scrambles to the base of the climb. The climb becomes 4th class were the saddle meets the east face. There are rap anchors in place for those who would prefer not to down-climb, use a single 60m rope.

 
Yours is no Disgrace.
M.G.S. from Cibola Pass

Getting There

From the intersection of 89A and 179 go west on 89A 1.5 miles to Soldiers Pass Rd. and take a right. Go for about a mile and take a right on Rim Shadows Dr. Go less than .25 miles to the trail head on the left through the marked gate. The gate is open from 9 am - 6 pm daily.

 
The Wilson Sisters ?
M.G.S. in late winter (left)

When To Climb

Spring and fall are the most popular times to climb. Lightning can pose a threat in the summer afternoons.

 
Head  em off at the Pass
M.G.S.(background)-Cibola Mitten (foreground)

Camping

Nearby camping in the Coconino Nat'l Forest :


BootleggerApr 15-Oct 31
Cave SpringsApr 13-Oct 15
ManzanitaYear Round
Pine Flat WestMar 5-Oct 26
Beaver CreekYear Round
W. Clear CreekYear Round


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Red Rocks-Sedona AreaMountains & Rocks