Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.78400°N / 118.583°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8518 ft / 2596 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The Grand Sentinel is one of the largest big walls in Kings Canyon. It is quite an impressive sight from Zumwalt meadows off Hwy 180 in Kings Canyon. While the south side of the Grand Sentinel is class 1, the north side contains some of the most difficult big wall climbs in Kings Canyon National Park. The original route done on the face was put up by none other than Yvon Chouinard and Royal Robbins in 1967. The Robbins - Chouinard Route ( V, 5.10, A3 ) is a rarely climbed, difficult route. Other routes include The Northwest Buttress ( class 5 ), Invisible Nebulae ( V, 5.10, A4 ), and Cosmopolis ( V, 5.10, A3 ). Big wall climbers looking for something off the beaten path will certainly find climbing the Grand Sentinels big walls a unique experience!

Getting There


From Fresno, take Hwy 180 to Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon National Park. See approach topo on this page.

Red Tape


There is an entrance fee for Kings Canyon National Park - currently $ 10.00 per vehicle. A special wilderness permit is required to biviouac on these climbs as camping is not allowed in the Cedar Grove area outside of the established campgrounds ( inquire at the Cedar Grove Ranger Station ). Special permission may also be required to park overnight outside of the regular fee campgrounds. Cedar Grove is open from mid April until mid November ( or the first snow fall ).

Sequoia / Kings Canyon National Park Web Site

When To Climb


The best time to do these climbs is June - September. Earlier in the season, water can be found at the base of the big wall, a definite advantage over having to carry water to the base.

Camping


Camping is only allowed in established campgrounds ( fee required ) of which there are several. Climbers bivouacing need to contact the Park Rangers in Cedar Grove for permits.

Sequoia / Kings Canyon National Park

Mountain Conditions


Call the Kings Canyon National Park at 559 - 565 - 3341 for current conditions.
Sequoia / Kings Canyon National Park website

Miscellaneous Info


A note about the climb quality ratings - assumes that you have included " enjoys suffering " in your personal profile!!

A note about the topos - all topos here were originally drawn by me, and were copied to this site from my original manuscripts for use by Summitpost members. Craig Peer

For hard copies of any of these topos, email your request to craig@mckinleycompany.com

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.