Obelisk (Hogum Divide)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.54511°N / 111.70795°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10516 ft / 3205 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Obelisk is a smaller mountain, located north of the Pfeifferhorn, in the Central Wasatch Mountains. The environment surrounding the Obelisk is some of the most astounding and scenic terrain in the entire Wasatch Range.

Looking south from the summit, you have an overwhelming view of the North Ridge of the Pfeifferhorn, the one of the more striking alpine routes in the Wasatch. Looking west, you can see the entire Hogum Fork with the Thunderbolt Ridge, Dresden Face, Snapdragon Couloir, Silver Couloir, and the Hypodermic Needle Couloir. Looking north, the entire Cottonwood Ridge is displayed before your eyes; and, looking east is the rugged outline of the Maybird Palisades and White Baldy.

The most common route to summit Obelisk is the Northeast Ridge. Obelisk is rarely climbed during the summer and provides ample solitude. During the winter, Obelisk is a more popular destination for backcountry skiing along the west and east faces. 


Obelisk Summit Panorama
Summit Panorama

 
Obelisk (Hogum Divide)
Looking east from the summit of Obelisk.
 
Obelisk (Hogum Divide)
Ski lines on the east face of Obelisk.


Getting There

Take I-15 to 9000 South. Go east (toward the mountains) on 9000 South. The road will travel toward the mountains and merge with 9400 South. Continue east. The road will diminish to a two-lane street and travel through residential areas. You will arrive at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon.

You will know you're at Little Cottonwood Canyon when you reach the Y-junction. At this intersection, you'll see a large information board that flashes updates about canyon road conditions. From here, go up the canyon roughly 5.3 miles to the White Pine Trailhead Parking Lot. When you are close to the parking lot, the road will widen with an extra passing lane. On the right side of the road you'll see a brown sign that reads "White Pine Trailhead Parking Lot."

There are bathrooms and some information boards at the parking lot. Follow the trail that travels behind the bathrooms.

Red Tape

This area of the Wasatch is part of the Wasatch Watershed. It is prohibited to camp closer than 200 feet from lakes and streams, and no dogs are allowed. No permits are needed to camp in the area or park in the parking lot.

Camping

Camping is permitted all throughout the Wasatch. It is prohibited to camp closer than 200 feet from lakes and streams, and no dogs are allowed. Campfires are usually permitted until fall when the fire danger become more pronounced.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
SabineInUtah

SabineInUtah - Jul 25, 2019 8:22 am - Hasn't voted

About a mile of boulder hopping

The last mile or so is all on boulders/talus and requires some scrambling which means it is class 2+ or 3. Slow going if boulder hopping is not your thing. The approach is on easy trails. It's about 4 miles to reach the boulder field below the peak and about another mile to the summit for a 10 mile RT.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.