Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.56600°N / 111.624°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11051 ft / 3368 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sugarloaf Peak is an easily reached 11,000 ft. summit which overlooks Albion Basin, Secret Lake, and much of Utah's Alta ski resort. The easy terrain and relatively high trailhead elevation combine to make Sugarloaf Peak arguably one of the easiest of the Wasatch 11'ers to ascend.

More advanced hikers may choose to create a multi-summit ridge traverse by combining this peak along with Devil's Castle to the east and/or Mount Baldy to the west, or the challenging Bullion Divide ridge traverse.

Sugarloaf Peak is located in the Wasatch National Forest.

Near the northeast base of the summit lies Cecret Lake, the spelling of which varies, with some maps and publications using the alternate "Secret Lake".

Trails Map showing the various trails in the Snowbird and Alta Ski Resort areas.

USGS Quads:

  • Brighton, Utah (1:24k)
  • Dromedary Peak, Utah (1:24k)

    Getting There

    The shortest and easiest approach for a hike up Sugarloaf Peak is by way of the Albion Basin Secret Lake trailhead.

    Take the 6200 South exit (exit #6) off I-215 and follow highway 190 south-east approximately 2 miles to the intersection with Big Cottonwood Canyon road. Continue straight through the stoplight and follow the road another 4 miles to the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, where an electronic billboard on the right provides current road and/or weather conditions.

    Continue east up Little Cottonwood Canyon approximately 9 miles past the billboard to the eastern end of the Alta ski area. The pavement ends at a well maintained dirt road, which can be followed approximately 3 miles to the Albion Basin Secret Lake trailhead.

    Refer to the Routes section for details on ascending the peak.

    Red Tape

    There are no fees for entering Albion Basin or parking at the Secret Lake trailhead.

    The dirt road from the Alta ski area to the trailhead passes through areas of privately owned cabins and property. Be respectful of the local property owners, and observe speed limits and parking restrictions - park only in designated areas.

    The peak and surrounding area is located in a watershed area; domestic animals are not permitted.

    When To Climb

    Anytime in spring after closure of the ski resorts, through late fall.

    Significant snow remains in the area well after closure of the ski resorts. Early season hikes may require the use of snowshoes.

    Camping

    Camping is permitted in the Albion Basin campground, located at the Secret Lake trailhead. The campground contains 26 designated sites, available on a first-come first-serve basis. Campsites can also be reserved in advance by phone at 1-877-444-6777.

    Mountain Conditions

  • Alta webcam of Sugarloaf Peak. View is from the north.
  • National Weather Service forecast for the area.
  • Utah website.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

VanillaSpider - Jul 22, 2015 6:34 pm - Voted 6/10

Backcountry Camping

There is backcountry camping at Cecret Lake so long as you are 200 ft. from water. It can get windy, but it makes for a nice base to bag Sugarloaf and/or Mt. Baldy.

JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz - Sep 12, 2020 1:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Dead link to Snowbird summer trails map

Here's the current link, as of Sept. 12, 2020: https://www.snowbird.com/uploaded/trail_maps_pdf/snowbird_summer_trail_map_20.pdf

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wasatch Range (Central)Mountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch Alpine RidgeMountains & Rocks
 
 
Wasatch 11,000 foot peaksMountains & Rocks