Technical Friends

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Technical Friends
Manufacturer Wild Country
Page By NYC007
Page Type Mar 12, 2003 / Mar 12, 2003
Object ID 9372
Hits 1405
Vote
Wild Country presents a new range of Technical Friends featuring important technical advances in strength, size range, weight and durability. Each new color-coded size defines the most technically advanced cams in the world. Without doubt Technical Friends are at the top of the SLCD evolutionary tree.

During 21 years of technical innovation they have become the bench mark, which has often been imitated, but never bettered.

Technical Friends cover the largest crack range or any manufacturer, from a diminutive 10 mm to a truly awesome 194 mm. They do this without compromise, every Friend achieving a guaranteed minimum pull out load of 14kN, when tested in accordance with EN 12276. This is made possible through the use of a lightweight but immensely strong single Nickel Chrome Molybdenum steel axle which predictably transmits the load to definitive 13.75 degree cams.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

Martin Cash - Aug 26, 2003 2:29 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
An excellent, highly versatile, cost effective, and lightweight set of SLCDs. I've had the chance to use several climber's racks and am also familiar with the Metolius Powercams, Forged Friends, Camalots, Aliens, and Zeros. Here is how the Friends stack up against the competition.



Metolius Powercams - Similar weight and expansion range. Friends are slightly lighter. Similar price. Similar cam action. Friends have many more intermediate sizes that are used the most.



Forged Friends - Big advantage with price for the Forged. You can get really good deals on these. They are heavier. Similar expansion range. Similar cam action. Requires much greater care while placing then Tech Friends due to the rigid stem, Tech Friends have more intermediate sizes.



Camalots - Camalots are much more expensive. Camalots have a bigger expansion range. The double cam action on the Camalot makes them a little easier to place. Tech Friends have more intermediate sizes. Camalots are much heavier than Friends. You rack will way a lot more.



Aliens - Friends, in the small sizes, do not place as well as aliens. They are slightly heavier. Friends are not known for having the best product for under a #1 Friend. The Alien is a better small cam.



Zero - Wild Country's other cam. Specifically designed for small sizes. Extremely flexible both directions. Won't get a deformed stem like Aliens do after a fall. As easy to place as an Alien. An incredible small cam, much superior to the small Tech Friends.



My perfect, complete rack would have Zeros Z3 through Z6, Friends 1 to 3, including all intermediate sizes, Camalots 3.5 and 4 (where expansion range is critical), and a couple big bros to protect large offwidths.



I would highly recommend Technical Friends sizes 1 through 3 to anyone.

NYC007 - Sep 15, 2003 5:01 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
By far one of my favorite cams, tied with camalots. I have a few different brands on my rack and I have no complaints with my friends, just my metolious power cams, dont care for them to much, there small camming range tends to SUCK. But the friends are bomer and the are the best feeling cams in the bigger sizes, others tend to wobble.

vertx - Sep 28, 2003 12:22 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have a double set .5 to 3. Love the flex for horizontal cracks. Over 3 I have the BD. They have a little wider range and seem to grab a little better.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3