Ultralite Anti-Shock Trekking Poles

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Ultralite Anti-Shock Trekking Poles
Manufacturer REI
Page By rcorby2
Page Type May 19, 2002 / May 19, 2002
Object ID 292
Hits 7858
Vote
Anti-shock springs can be turned on and off with a twist of the pole; use the extra cushioning for going downhill and the rigid support for uphill.

Extra-long, natural-shaped grips allow you to drop a hand to a lower position on the grip during intermittent traverses.

Wide nylon wrist-straps offer non-constricting comfort; lined with soft terry cloth to prevent chafing.

Fully adjustable three-section design provides a custom fit for any trekker and varying terrain.

Quick-release baskets twist off easily to convert warm-weather trekking poles to winter snow poles; snow baskets sold separately.

Tungsten carbide tips offer long-wear; plastic tip protectors safeguard your gear in transit.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-7 of 7

rcorby2 - May 29, 2002 9:41 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Been using these poles for about two months now. Only one major complaint-I hate the straps on these poles. Leki wrist straps are FAR superior to the standard nylon loop that is on each of the REI poles. The poles are relatively light, though. Also, I didn't really see a big benefit from the anti shock feature. Having used non anti shock poles before, I didn't notice the difference between two. Maybe if I had elbow/wrist joint problems it would make a difference? My most liked feature is the hard foam hand grips. They do well when my hands are sweating. Would give 5 stars, but the wrist straps are crappy when compared to some of the competitors. In general, when traveling in mountainous terrain or doing a lot of up hill, I believe trekking poles will help a lot.

Misha - Dec 15, 2003 1:43 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
My first pair of trekking poles, so I don't really have anything to compare with. I guess they do the job OK. I can certainly appreciate the light weight and the anti-shock technology on those x-country trips. A couple of complaints:
- On rougher terrain where you have to rely on your poles more than usual, they may automatically unlock and reduce in size. I tried to adjust them and lock the length really firm but somehow it always gets messed up in those rough areas.
- While adjusting the length, it is too easy to completely dismantle the pole (pull sections out).
Next time, I will probably go with LeKi products

Erik Beeler - Dec 15, 2003 5:04 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I like these poles. They are made by Komperdell for REI and have been a solid product. I have hauled sleds behind me and really appreciated having these poles along. The anti shock feature was noticable but most noticable going down hill with the seld behind me. The grips are really nice and don't pull warmth from your hands even if you are not wearing gloves. To get them tigh enough so they don't unadjust I reach down to the basket and turn from there it gives me enough leverage to make sure they are tight enough to not collapse.



Have to agree with the straps. They are nice but they are hard to adjust expecially when wearing gloves so make sure you adjust them before hand.

The Defiant One - Mar 28, 2005 7:41 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I prefer these poles over the Leki Makalu poles i bought for my mother. If you want a well built ultralight pole, for a decent price, these are very reliable and solid.

I do not personally like poles with Anti-Shock devices built in. I have since given these to my girlfriend, who loves them, and bought myself some REI Summit poles ($65) which i prefer as they have less moving parts.

Flanders - Apr 1, 2007 8:26 pm - Voted 4/5

6 Years later and still trekking
The poles have held up to major abuse. I have never cleaned them and the anti-shock mechanism remains flawless. Support weight well. The extended foam handles are great for gripping, even in soaking wet weather.

Only thing keeping them from being a 5 is the lower sections of the poles have always collapsed on occasion.

The Vor - Apr 13, 2007 2:11 pm - Voted 5/5

held up well
have used these extensively for 5 years, only cleaned them once and noticed quite a bit of rust on the springs but still performed very well. Only problem is that they collapse on occasion now when in anti-shock mode so i just turn the anti-shock off now. Great investment.

dirth - Aug 22, 2007 4:40 pm - Voted 1/5

Awful poles
I purchased the REI Peak UL Carbon Shocklight Trekking Poles a week ago. On my very first hike, a very gradual 8 miler into a campsite, one of the poles snapped 2 hours in. That that rate I was paying $35 an hour to use that pole. The pole was never placed under a great deal of stress and the step when it broke was no different from the 1000 steps before it. The second pole broke at about 9,500 feet, 500 feet from the summit of Mt. Jackson in Glacier National Park. This was under a little bit more stress as it was around 20 degrees out and I was climbing on rock, but still it was really not out of the ordinary use at all. This was more problematic because I had been counting on the pole and it was snowing and slippery which made the hike down that much less comfortable without a pole to aid with balance. The first pole lasted for about 6 miles of hiking and the second pole lasted for about 30 miles. I am going back to REI as soon as I can this is absolutely ridiculous.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7