Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.48694°N / 121.5469°W
Additional Information County: Shasta
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8658 ft / 2639 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Brokeoff Mtn. and Pilot pinnacleBrokeoff Mtn., Mt. Diller and Pilot Pinnacle
Loomis Peak with Mt. ShastaLoomis Peak and Mt. Shasta
Loomis Peak is a volcanic dome with a glaciated northeast cirque 2 miles west of Lassen Peak in Lassen Volcanic National Park. The mountain is named for B.F. Loomis who photographed the eruptions of Lassen Peak between 1914 and 1917. There is nothing particularly outstanding about this peak except that it makes for a nice day hike in the heart of Lassen Park and has up close views of the west side of Chaos Crags, Lassen Peak, Eagle Peak, Pilot Pinnacle, Mt. Diller and Brokeoff Mtn.. To the north is an expanse of mountainous forested rolling terrain that includes the Crater Peak massif with Mt. Shasta on the horizon at 70 miles.

Getting There

Chaos Crags from Loomis PeakChaos Crags from Loomis Peak
From the north entrance/Manzanita Lake: From Interstate 5 at Redding go 46 miles east on Hwy.44 to Hwy. 89. Stay to the right and enter Lassen Volcanic National Park on Hwy. 89. At .8 of a mile find a place to park by Manzanita Lake and take the the Manzanita Creek trail southeast for 4 miles where it ends up in the canyon between Lassen Peak and Loomis Peak. Break trail and hike .65 miles south up through forest to the saddle below the southeast slope of Loomis Peak. Take the slope to the summit at about .5 miles. Stay to the right to avoid dense chaparral.
From the south entrance/Emerald Lake: From Interstate 5 turn east on Hwy. 36 at Red Bluff. Go 44 miles east to Hwy. 89. Turn left (north) and go 4 miles to the Lassen Park entrance. Continue another 5.4 miles to Emerald Lake on the left. Hike west up to the ridge and drop down to a small hanging valley. Then hike northwest through forest to the saddle below the southeast slope of Loomis Peak at 1.5 miles from Emerald Lake. Take the slope to the summit at about .5 miles staying to the right to avoid dense chaparral. This east side approach is the shorter and easier of the two.

Red Tape

Lassen Peak from Loomis PeakLassen Peak from Loomis Peak
There is a fee of 10 dollars per vehicle and 5 dollars per person to enter Lassen Volcanic National Park.

Camping

Pilot Pinnacle and Mt. Diller from Loomis PeakPilot Pinnacle and Mt. Diller from Loomis Peak
Eagle Peak, Vulcans Castle and Ski Heil PeakEagle Peak, Vulcans Castle and Ski Heil Peak from the west
There are numerous campgrounds in Lassen Park. There is one at Manzanita Lake and one near the park entrance among others.
For more information click on this link: Campgrounds of Lassen Volcanic.

Current weather and road conditions

Brokeoff Mtn., Pilot Pinnacle and Mt. Diller from the  ridgeBrokeoff Mtn., Pilot Pinnacle and Mt. Diller from the ridge
For current road conditions click here.
For current weather and snow conditions click here.