Peak 6551 of Black Mountain

Peak 6551 of Black Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.89859°N / 112.83083°W
Additional Information County: Tooele
Seasons Season: Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6551 ft / 1997 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Lakeside Mountains run roughly north/south in the arid Great Basin Desert of Utah - overlooking the Great Salt Lake to the east. Parallel mountain ranges (again, with more-or-less north/south axes) fade off into the distant views. These low dry mountains are mostly bare of forest; some stands of juniper and ridgeline mountain mahogany are present (but mostly dead juniper - cut or killed by wildfires). The most common vegetation is grass - some native, but lots of invasive cheatgrass, giving the range an overall straw-color for much of the year. The highpoint of the range is Craner Peak (6625'). The rock comprising the highest exposed bedrock of this mountain range is a dark grey limestone, black when wet or viewed from a distance in contrast to the mostly straw color.

Confusingly, the large massif of the range is labeled "Black Mountain" - on the 7.5 minute USGS topo, Craner Peak could be considered the highpoint of Black Mountain. On the USGS 1:100,000 (30 x 60') map (Tooele), that labeled as "Black Mountain" seems to include a SEPARATE named peak also called Black Mountain! This second Black Mountain, roughly 4km or 2.5 miles south of Craner Peak, bears some communication towers and has a road going to the top.

The next prominence north of Craner Peak is peak 6551. Some secondary resources refer to peak 6551 as "Black Mountain", but I will refer to it as "peak 6551 of Black Mountain" until this is clarified. 

Getting There

The Lakeside Mountains are about an hour drive from the Salt Lake Valley as accessed by Interstate 80. A high-clearance vehicle is needed to travel the final distance to the starting point of the hike. Drive in only when the road is dry - when muddy it can be treacherous. Since this hike begins at the same place as that recommended for Craner Peak (see that account), I will paraphrase those directions. Take exit 77  and drive west on the frontage road on the north side that parallels the highway - it will veer north to parallel the east side of the Lakeside Mountains, heading toward the obvious landmark of the MagCorp magnesium processing plant (a cloud of steam visible for miles). Note the small mile-markers on the right (E) side of the road; take a left turn just beyond the 12 mile marker. This road will cross some railroad tracks and become a dirt road. Follow it past a water trough & some old corrals where it will curve back north. At about 3.5 miles from the highway, an east-west running road will intersect this dirt road - it is wide and well-graded - the east direction obviously goes to the MagCorp plant. Take the left (west) turn. Just beyond the entrance to a rock quarry (private property), take the somewhat rutted right branch leading into Craner Canyon. 

Route

The recommended route starts where Craner and Vindicator Canyons meet. Coordinates are 40 degrees, 53.442 minutes North, 112 degrees 47.163 minutes West. My route consists of staying high and stitching together 3 hilltops - the final climb (east ridge of peak 6551) is obvious from the 3rd hilltop. Low passes separate the hills and the route is highly scenic.

Black Mountain: peak 6551peak 6551 seen from start of hike

Start the hike by climbing the steep hillside to the north heading to point 5546'. Get to the top of that hill, then proceed to the next visible hill ~5860' (estimated - hilltop was not surveyed). From that hill, go to point 5927'. At this point, you are on the divide between Vindicator and Peepstone Canyons - you will see below you a trail labeled as "jeep trail" on the USGS topo (trail originates in the mouth of Peepstone Canyon). The route is open and obvious: descend to the road and follow it to the east ridge. A few small cliff bands are easily passed on the way to the summit. I returned by descending Vindicator Canyon - this had some stretches of soft sand and some places with heavy accumulation of tumbleweeds! 

The hike up to the summit ridge by this route was roughly 5.8 km (or 3.6 miles) - done in about 2 1/2 hours leisurely pace with stop time intervals included.

Alternatively, try the "jeep trail" from the mouth of Peepstone Canyon (i.e, bypass all three hilltops). I've not tried this, but it seems to be a longer and more gradual way to the final ascent of the east ridge. Or arrange a shuttle: ascend one way and descend the other.

I know of one person who traversed from Craner Peak to peak 6551. Although the south face of 6551 is intimidating looking down from the top (or when viewed from far away), it doesn't look bad at all looking up just under the summit block.

Red Tape

Be very careful with fire - even rolling a boulder could spark a grass fire! Please obey BLM vehicle use restrictions - no off-road travel. The southern end of the range (nearer to the Interstate) is very commonly used for shooting recreation. Again, be careful not to spark a wildfire while shooting.

When to Climb

Fall and winter seem ideal for hiking here - it gets pretty hot in the warm months. You will find no water. Rattlesnakes are not active in cold months, neither are the biting gnats that torment especially in the spring.

Camping

One could camp in Craner Canyon - it is BLM land. The quarry passed on the way in is said to be private property. Don't cause a wildfire! This area is convenient to access from the Salt Lake Valley for day hikes.