It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 pm

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Cumulus Minilite Down Vest Review

It has been more than 2 years of time that I was looking to get a down vest. The possibilities within this field are many, or better, the market is overloaded with down vest products. As I usually do, prior of purchasing any new product, I search the market and the offerings of the various brands and based on previous experiences and knowledge I take a decision. This is the process I have followed also ...
Read more : Cumulus Minilite Down Vest Review | Views : 4557 | Replies : 0

La Sportiva Evo vs Cubes

Hey guys,
I have a question. Trying to buy a pair of LS Evos off ebay. Never tried this model, but I've tried the Cubes and 42(EU size) fits me well. Anybody here can advise whether the 2 models share the same precise dimension in length?

I'm asking cause I've already made a mistake with Scarps. Tried the Mont Blanc GTX 42.5 and they were perfect. Bought GTX Pro 42.5 and they were a tiny ...
Read more : La Sportiva Evo vs Cubes | Views : 7489 | Replies : 1

Silvretta Bindings Seeking New Home

I have the following I am looking to sell all in great condition:-
Silvretta easy go 500 size small 5 pairs
Silvretta easy go 500 size medium 4 pairs
Silvretta easy go 500 size large 2 pairs
Ski Crampons available for all easy go 500's
Silvretta pure freeride brand new and boxed size large 1 pair
Silvretta 404 size N (medium) 1 pair
Silvretta 404 size U (large) 1 Pair
Hagan aircells touring approach skis ...
Read more : Silvretta Bindings Seeking New Home | Views : 4014 | Replies : 1

Carrying a second pair of boots

I have a pair of Salewa Crow's that I've been using for many of the local peaks (Hood, Adams, St Helens, South Sister, etc). and they've worked well for my climbing season preference of late spring - summer. I'd like to slog up Mount Rainier (DC route) at some point but I am not sure my Salewa's will do trick come summit day. I was thinking of taking along my Koflach Arctis Expes specifically for ...
Read more : Carrying a second pair of boots | Views : 10582 | Replies : 13

excess glue on skins?

I have a set of G3 skins, probably used about six times. After about the second trip with these, I have had continued problems with goobers of glue sticking to my skis, even when I had just waxed them. This then leads to snow sticking and is a major pain. I tried to remove some excess glue from the skins themselves and I also figured after a few cycles of getting excess glue on the ...
Read more : excess glue on skins? | Views : 2401 | Replies : 1

Can you get Mountain Hardwear Dragon Pants hemmed?

I just bought a pair of short Mountain Hardware Dragon pants and they are still a bit long lengthwise. I'm a 5'3/125 male who has a difficult time finding mountaineering shells that fit me. Does anyone have any suggestions of brands that make quality pants for short, lean males? Or places that can hem my dragon pants/can that type of material be taken up without damaging it's functionality as a windproof/waterproof shell?
Read more : Can you get Mountain Hardwear Dragon Pants hemmed? | Views : 3371 | Replies : 2

Is a down suit an adequate substitution for a sleeping bag?

Can the TNF Himalayan down suit perform as an adequate substitution for a sleeping bag on Aconcagua, if I were to pair it with a thermolite liner to reduce pack weight and space? If there are concerns for my hands and feet, I have that covered with TNF Himalayan mitts (primaloft Insulation and 600-fill RDS goose down insulation) and the insualted boot liners from my La Sportiva Spantik double boot for my feet to sleep ...
Read more : Is a down suit an adequate substitution for a sleeping bag? | Views : 5470 | Replies : 1

TNF Himalayan Down Suit/Aconcagua

Can the TNF Himalayan down suit perform as an adequate substitution for a sleeping bag on Aconcagua, if I were to pair it with a thermolite liner to reduce pack weight and space? Thoughts?
Read more : TNF Himalayan Down Suit/Aconcagua | Views : 7653 | Replies : 6

Altimeters

My 10 year old altimeter (barometric pressure based - High Gear Altitech) has died. I find having a barometer is very useful for backcountry navigation with a topo map and compass, since I don't like relying completely on GPS batteries (and GPS doesn't always work in a canyon or on a steep slope or next to a rock wall). I know there are smartphone apps which leverage the barometer in most phones, but again I ...
Read more : Altimeters | Views : 2491 | Replies : 1

Simond 2-in-1 Mountaineering Gloves Review

Winter mountaineering activities can be very enjoyable if the gear used is good and appropriate for the conditions. One of the most important gear items for winter mountaineering ascents are naturally gloves.

Simond 2 in1 Mountaineering Glove is designed for mountaineering and it has all the features you normally see on products double its price. So you get a liner glove that has synthetic insulation, and you could wear this on its own. But you ...
Read more : Simond 2-in-1 Mountaineering Gloves Review | Views : 3373 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557948 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136408