It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:43 pm

News News of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Site map of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean » Forum : Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.

language barrier

Having summited Mt. Rainier last summer I am now interested in Mexico and its Volcanoes.
Since I am 58 years old and have no knowledge of the Spanish Language what would be my best way to get around. Should I go with a U.S. guide service or do the Mexican services know enough English to overcome this barrier. Never traveled to Mexico and was just wondering about travel in Mexico. I Take that last statement ...
Read more : language barrier | Views : 2505 | Replies : 6

Mexican Volcanos over Xmas and New Years

My office is closed between Christmas and new Years so I am thinking of climbing Ixta and Orizaba over the holidays. I could leave around Dec. 22 and return Jan.2. Any one else have this time free and want to climb?
Read more : Mexican Volcanos over Xmas and New Years | Views : 2153 | Replies : 2

Mexican Volcanoes in November 2007

I am looking for partners to climb Pico de Orizaba, Iztaccihuatl, La Malinche and Nevado de Toluca from November 15 to December 2, 2007.

Planned itenerary:
11/15 - Arrive Mexico City at 12:30 p.m. Catch bus from airport to Toluca and spend the night in a hotel.

11/16 - Take taxi to Nevado de Toluca. Spend day with easy acclimatization climbing on Nevado de Toluca. Return to hotel in Toluca.

11/17 - Take bus to ...
Read more : Mexican Volcanoes in November 2007 | Views : 5867 | Replies : 15

Hello

I am doing 1/3 (only Pico de Orizaba) of what you are doing during thanksgiving. Just bought my plane ticket.

Here is some info I got from an SPer imvertical http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=28915

I am just quoting his quote. He knows a lot and has a TR. Hope this helps.

As far as Mexican volcanoes are concerned, I would say with a good
partner and a bit of planning you could pull those off pretty easy. My ...
Read more : Hello | Views : 5962 | Replies : 13

Orizaba 4x4 driver recommendations for Jan '08

Does anyone have recomendations for a reliable driver that can take us to/from Puebla to the Orizaba hut? Just need transport, no guiding is expected or desired.

Targeting the 2nd week of January. Team of 2 climbers, maybe 3. Going light.

Thanks
Read more : Orizaba 4x4 driver recommendations for Jan '08 | Views : 4291 | Replies : 12

Orizba mountain guides

Hello SPers,

Has anyone ever dealt/used with Orizba mountain guides? Just looking for opinions.

Thanks
Ahsan
Read more : Orizba mountain guides | Views : 5092 | Replies : 11

ice axe mexico volcanoes

what type of point on the end is better suited for orizaba and ixta, a sharp point or a tubular point.....is there much ice where a real sharp point is needed and the tubular will deflect off?
Read more : ice axe mexico volcanoes | Views : 2183 | Replies : 0

Digital Maps of Mexico available

INEGI now have CD Roms with digital maps of Mexico. 1:250000 for most areas and 1:50000 of DF, Popo/Izta etc.
Read more : Digital Maps of Mexico available | Views : 3003 | Replies : 3

Blue Mountains Jamaica

I am looking at a possibility of doing Blue Mountain Peak in Jamaica early next spring. I don't find a mountain page on SP, except for this page which mentions it in the peaks table:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/17 ... Peaks.html

Nice page, BTW. :D

I guess the idea is to hit the TH in time to be on the summit by daybreak. ...
Read more : Blue Mountains Jamaica | Views : 2910 | Replies : 6

The top of Baja

Just got back from climbing Picacho del Diablo. What a spectacular peak! I'll write a trip report later, but for now a few pieces of info:

The road to the park is paved all the way up. The road to the Llanitos shack requires 4X4.
Our hike time in from the Llanitos shack to Campo Noche was 7 hours.
On climb day we made the summit in 4 hours 25 minutes. Descent time back to ...
Read more : The top of Baja | Views : 3787 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557992 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136504