It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Favorite exercise?

Many people are comfortable in doing the same exercise routines. Like me sometimes, I usually opt for taebo. My parents choose jogging while my grandparents are used to walking. How about you? What's your favorite exercise?
Read more : Favorite exercise? | Views : 11307 | Replies : 7

Healing frostbite

A few days ago contracted what looks to be frostbite on big toe. It (hopefully) doesn't look bad, but there is a small purplish area near the tip. Already went to an urgent care center and they said it's a waiting game, but there's a good sign that it was warm to the touch. I've started using aloe vera gel on it and drinking few cups of sage tea to improve circulation. And even a ...
Read more : Healing frostbite | Views : 6885 | Replies : 1

Inguinal hernia Inguinal hernia

I'd like to know if anyone have this problem and how do you do for big or long efforts. I'd also like to know what's possible to do in sports with or without passing surgery. Proffesional comments are welcome too
Read more : Inguinal hernia | Views : 22536 | Replies : 28

Updated Expedition Medicine page Updated Expedition Medicine page

Hello all

I have revised and up-dated the Expedition Medicine Article I wrote in November 2010. This has been in response to various messages and discussions the article triggered, but also based on a little new information and some recent personal experience at altitude.

Here is the link:

http://www.summitpost.org/expedition-medicine/675753

Best wishes for Christmas and 2013

Mark
Read more : Updated Expedition Medicine page | Views : 9315 | Replies : 4

Avalanche Resuscitation Guideline Says Cardiac Arrest... Avalanche Resuscitation Guideline Says Cardiac Arrest...

This is great news for the wilderness/mountain medical community. It is about time some evidence based research has been done regarding cardiac arrest and avalanche victims to better dictate treatment and increase survival of cardiac arrest in avalanche victims. For those of us in the medical field this is a very interesting read and may be interesting to others as well. Hope you all enjoy reading it!

Avalanche Resuscitation Guideline Says Cardiac Arrest Survival Relatively ...
Read more : Avalanche Resuscitation Guideline Says Cardiac Arrest... | Views : 9935 | Replies : 3

quick fix for vertigo/balance disorder?

a few years back i had a fall while scrambling on a small mountain out here. i slid about 20-30 feet before being knocked unconscious. since then, i've had an increasing sense of vertigo or balance disorder that comes on when i am overlooking a steep drop. i've had it at low and high elevations and it usually comes on slowly... but over time i feel dizzier and dizzier until im off the section of ...
Read more : quick fix for vertigo/balance disorder? | Views : 30985 | Replies : 9

PAULEY'S KNEE PAIN QUERY

Hi Everyone
Could someone please advice.
I do some light gym work and I am a novice at moutain hill climbing. My friend and I did a 10 mile treak around Pen-y-Fan Horshoe route in Brecon Beacons - there are four peaks and teh highes is PenyFan at around 2900 feet. I had a backpack on about 7-9 pounds in weight
Going up was fine apart from having to stop to get my breath and ...
Read more : PAULEY'S KNEE PAIN QUERY | Views : 8437 | Replies : 7

Lightening

This may strike some as a stupid question, but it came up as a topic of conversation on our last hike.

I thought I would throw it out to SPers, to see if you had any thoughts on this.

I was wondering if being in a tent is "safe", during a lightening storm in the mountains. If the tent/poles were "hit", would the lightening go down the poles bypassing the people safely inside?

The reason ...
Read more : Lightening | Views : 31046 | Replies : 23

Mountain Rescuers Request ASAP!

Sorry I hope I havent posted in the wrong place, as I am new (also posted in the Europe forum)

Help!! Needing ANYONE with mountain rescue skills who could volunteer in Lake Garda, Italy, (Mountain La Rocca is famous for biking & hiking) to search for my elderly uncle! Can someone please contact me asap - both volunteers or paid mountain rescuers?!

We are extremely worried for the safety and well-being of Felix Marr who ...
Read more : Mountain Rescuers Request ASAP! | Views : 6676 | Replies : 0

dislocated elbow help

i dislocated my left elbow 3 weeks ago in a rugby match. it was a complete dislocation. i have just had my cast taken off and i felt the elbow and around the joint, it seems that my skin has tightened up around the elbow and my fore arm. it may be the muscles or nerves instead. could someone please tell me what it is? and how long it will take to go, thank you!
Read more : dislocated elbow help | Views : 8611 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557951 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136411