It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

News News of Regional Boards - North America

Site map of Regional Boards - North America » Forum : Regional Boards - North America

I need friends I need friends

I need climbing friends. I'm a novice, I don't own gear, I've never even been on a wall. I just like to bushwhack up whatever mountains i can find at my local state park. I'm bored I guess. yea
Read more : I need friends | Views : 4773 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Snow conditions on Wheeler Peak

I'll be making a summit bid on Wheeler Peak via the loop that includes Doso Doyobi next week and wanted to know if anyone has beta on current snow conditions.

I'm sure snowshoes are a must, but wanted to check first as any weight that I can shed will be helpful.

Many thanks.
Read more : Snow conditions on Wheeler Peak | Views : 4755 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

California, A History

I received a copy of 'California, A History' for Christmas. This book is authored by Dr. Kevin Starr, a former Harvard professor and California State Librarian. Pretty good credentials, however I didn't get very far into it (page 9 to be exact) before I ran into the following statement: "Forty-One California mountains rise to more than ten thousand feet". I think someone needs to do a re-count.
Read more : California, A History | Views : 3547 | Replies : 7 | Forum : California

RIP ~ Mountain Jim

Long time SPer and prominent Colorado mountaineer Mountain Jim, aka James Disney, passed on recently at age 82 after a long battle with cancer. He was an amazing painter and a prolific climber (summited Longs Peak 93 times). His SP profile, https://www.summitpost.org/users/mountain%20jim/30137 reveals much about the man.
I didn't know him, but had a little interaction with him here on SP and heard of his exploits over the years. He ...
Read more : RIP ~ Mountain Jim | Views : 4802 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Colorado

Satellite Communication

In 2020 I came within a few days of being trapped in the backcountry by the Creek Fire. To avoid a repetition of that peril, this year we decided to rent a satellite phone. The phone was expensive, heavy and something you don't want to lose or get wet. However, it was comforting to get messages from home that everything was Ok and to know you could summon help if needed. I recently became aware ...
Read more : Satellite Communication | Views : 5161 | Replies : 10 | Forum : California

Remains found thought to be German hiker missing since 1983

Skeletal remains found in Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park are believed to be those of a 27-year-old man from West Germany who disappeared during a multi-day mountaineering trip nearly 40 years ago, park officials said Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/remai ... d=msedgntp
Read more : Remains found thought to be German hiker missing since 1983 | Views : 1473 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Colorado

Need beta on the pass south east of Island Lake in the Winds Need beta on the pass south east of Island Lake in the Winds

Hi all!

Planning a big trip next year and need some beta about the pass between Mt. Lester and Elephant Head, southeast of Island Lake in the Wind River Range, Wyoming. From the topo map the pass looks very accessible from the Island Lake side however I can't tell how rugged it is on the Wall Lake side.

Can anyone help me? :?:

Christian

Cedar Mesa's State Route 95 Closure

While doing some trip planning I found that State Route 95 between Blanding and Natural Bridges National Monument was closed at the bridge over Cottonwood Wash (mile Marker 115.5). Local Traffic on either side of the bridge is OK - but no through traffic. Route 95 is the key paved east west route in the Cedar Mesa area. Large scale flood waters damaged the bridge and it needs emergency repairs. My source is https://udottraffic.utah.gov/. Anyone ...
Read more : Cedar Mesa's State Route 95 Closure | Views : 6369 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Utah

Great Basin Skiing

Backcountry skiers/riders - would love beta on late winter/early spring skiing in vicinity of Wheeler Peak in Great Basin Nat'l Park. Going to reconnoiter the area in two weeks, but certainly appreciate some live knowledge of access and aspects for "typical" winter into spring. :)
Read more : Great Basin Skiing | Views : 1965 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Thru Hikers

I spent 3 days at the Vermillion Valley Resort in early August, coincidentally right after it had been taken over by new Owners. I enjoyed being around the thru hikers stopping there for re-supply. It reminded me of when I hiked the JMT years ago. Now, after one month of operation, the Resort apparently has to close. That's tough for the new Owners, but what about the thru hikers counting on picking up supplies? And ...
Read more : Thru Hikers | Views : 3533 | Replies : 5 | Forum : California

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557961 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136430