Pic de Monestero

Pic de Monestero

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.54672°N / 1.01884°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9436 ft / 2876 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Page history

* 22/07-2014: Peak climbed :)
* 16/11-2014: Page created

Overview

Pic de Monestero is one of the highest peaks in the eastern part of the Aigüestortes / Estany de Sant Maurici national park in the Spanish Pyrenees. Judging from the not very clear trail leading up to the summit, the mountain doesn't see that many visitors. This is likely due to two facts (1) Pic de Peguera lies just next to it and is approx. 100 m higher and (2) the mountains falls 120-130 m short of the 3.000 m mark and is therefore much less famous than its bigger brothers in the western part of the park; Punta Alta, Besiberri and Pic de Comaloforno. That is a shame because the peak is easy to climb and it takes less than 30 minutes to reach the summit from Coll de Monesto which is one of the passes crossed by the highly popular Carros de Foc hiking trail. Most people hiking the Carros de Foc however just head towards the next hut and thus miss the nice views from the summit. You can see a big chunk of the southern part of the national park - and in clear weather you should be able to see Pica d'Estats (highest mountain in Catalonia) some 35 km's to the east. 

Monestero seen from Peguera
Pic de Monestero seen from the eastern slopes of Pic de Peguera


View from Monestero
View from the summit of Pic de Monestero

Getting There

Access to the summit is from one of the refugios on the Carros de Foc route; Refugi J.M Blanc, Refugi Colomina or Refugi Mallafre. For getting to the national park and the refugios see the Pirineos: Aran-Aigüestortes page.
Carros de Foc route
Carros de Foc route


Route

Entry points to the summit is either from Coll de Monestero (2.715) located southwest of the summit or from Coma dels Estanys Escondits (2.720 m) located north/northeast of the summit (not named on GPS track).

GPS track of Pic de Monestero
GPS track of Pic de Monestero

Two hiking/scrambling routes lead to the summit:

Southwest ridge (normal): Follow a steep hiking trail from Coll de Monestero. The trail is is not super-clearly marked, but there are a few cairns here and here. And if you get lost, just head uphill, since the terrain is not so steep. 
    
North face: From Coma dels Estanys Escondits the route traverses gently across grassy slopes with a few rocks here and there and then climbs the north face of the summit. There are a few cairns but I lost track of them a few times, so trust your map and/or GPS to lead to way if visibility is bad. 
 
Monestero seen from the coll
Pic de Monestero seen Coll de Monestero (normal route)


Panorama of Monestero
Panorama of Pic de Monestero seen from Coma dels Estanys Escondits (north face route)

Red Tape

It's very advisable to make reservations well in advance in the refuges especially in the summer.
Aigüestortes is a National Park with rules about the wildlife, the camping, etc.

When to Climb

Can probably be climbed year round.

Pic de Peguera seen from the summit of Gran Encantats
Pic de Peguera (in the center) and Pic de Monestero (grassy peak left of Peguera) seen from the summit of Gran Encantats




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.