Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.84890°N / 10.47210°E
Additional Information Elevation: 9212 ft / 2808 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The tower of Graun on the...The tower of Graun with Piz Lat behind

Piz Lat is located in northern Italy's Oetztal Alps in beautiful South Tirol at the gateway to the Dolomites. It sits on the border of Switzerland and Italy. About 1km north of the acual summit is an point called “Dreilaenderecke” (corner of three countries). This is the spot where Italy, Austria and Switzerland meet each other and a place to stand in three countries at once incase that is one of your lifetime goals:) Some of the other peaks located around this mountain are Elferspitze(2,926m), Monte Watles (2,557m) and Piz Schludernskirche (1,950m). This peak rises above the beautiful Reschensee's northwest shores near the ski resort of Rojen. The mountain is comprised of a near verticle eastern face which rises to the steep summit point on a short ridgeline which runs from east to west. From any spot along the Reschensee, this mountain appears to look like a large gable which makes it recognizable from almost any point in the valley. The most popular route up this peak is from ReshenpaB at the north end of the village of Reschen. The route ascends the southern slopes of the peak on a former militarty trail which leads to the cross marked summit. Views from the summit extend south to the Ortles Massif and northeast to the Wildspitze in Austria. This mountain is a beautiful destination also because of the excellent weather nearly year round. For some good photos and translated information of the route and mountain click “here” ! For a summit panorama click “here”
Piz Lad south ridgeSouth Ridge
Early winter at the ski runs...North Face
Piz LadSouth Slopes

Getting There

Sight from the top towards...Summit View South

From Landeck, Austria:
- Take highway S40 all the way south over Rechia Pass to the village of Reschen at the north end of Reshensee.
From Bozen, Italy:
- Take highway S38 north through Schluderns to the village of Reschen at the north end of the second lake.
From Milano, Italy:
- Take highway S41north through Schluderns all the way to the village of Reschen at the north end of the Reschensee.

Red Tape

Piz Lad summit ridgePiz Lat Summit Ridge

There are no permits or fees required to summit this peak. The only seasonal closures would be on roads due to snow and winter conditions. Parking is available in the town of Reschen near the trailhead. For conservation purposes, just follow the “Leave No Trace” system and you'll be fine.

When To Climb

On the Piz Lad summitOn Piz Lad summit

This mountain is climbable during all seasons of the year. It is best climbed from June to August. Winter conditions may be present during anytime of the year though, so make sure you know the mountain and the weather. In winter conditions, an ice axe and crampoons may be necessary.

Camping

There is no camping that I know about around this mountain.

Mountain Conditions

For current weather conditions click on the link below!
Reschenpass Weather
For a live web-cam look click on the link below!
www.obervinschgau.it





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sesvenna GroupMountains & Rocks