Saddle Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.90440°N / 68.9228°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2/3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the Getting There section of the Main Page to get to Baxter State Park. From the Togue Pond entrance in the south of the park, take the Roaring Brook Road 8.1 miles to the Roaring Brook campsite where the trailhead is. Sign in at the ranger hut.

Route Description


From the Chimney Pond Trailhead, go 3.3 miles to Chimney Pond. It's a straightforward hike along trail and rock with a few viewpoints along the way. For the most part there is a stream alongside of you. Once you come to Chimney Pond, you need to sign in again at the hut there.

Follow signs to the right for the Saddle Trail from here. The route heads southwest and is mostly Class 2 for about a mile or so through a narrow trail cut through the trees. It angles towards the broad saddle between Baxter and Hamlin Peaks. Near the headwall, it steepens for a short ways and becomes mostly easy Class 3 up to the saddle.

Once you reach the saddle, turn left and follow the thin easy trail to Baxter Peak (summit). Distance from Chimney Pond is 2.2 miles. This is the usual descent route and probably the best "bail out" route if the weather gets bad.

Essential Gear


Rangers require you to carry at least a flashlight. There is plenty of water you can filter if needed along Chimney Pond Trail and at Chimney Pond. None after that though.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KatahdinRoutes