Sommerwand

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.05866°N / 11.15112°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Via Ferrata, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10243 ft / 3122 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Vordere SommerwandVordere Sommerwand

Sommerwand (engl: "summer wall") is not only one single summit, but a ridge with four peaks, which are named Vordere Sommerwand (2677m/8783ft), Mittlere Sommerwand (2847m/9341ft), Hintere Sommerwand (2904m/9528ft) and finally the highest of all Innere Sommerwand (3122m/10243ft). These summits are connected by the Sommerwand which runs from Innere Sommerwand in the south to Vordere Sommerwand about 2.5km to the north east.

Vordere Sommerwand is one of the summits very close to Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft). Because of an ascent time of about 1.5-2h from the hut, this summit is visited very often. The only dificulties on the way up to the smallest Sommerwand is the summit ridge, which is quite exposed but well secured with chains. On the other hand stands Innere Sommerwand, which is an easy glacier climb (up to 30°) via the Sommerwandferner (engl: "Sommerwand glacier") and therefore very popular, too. The other two summits are climbed not that often, because the best way to reach them is by climbing Sommerwand-ridge from Vordere Sommerwand to Innere Sommerwand. This ridge traverses all Sommerwand summits and is a nice UIAA IV climb in mostly solid rock (that' s what people told me).

The glacier below Innere Sommerwand is not very large and therefore the high temperatures of 2006 have left their trace. But the summit offers viwes into the heart of the Stubai Alps and their great glacier landscape. Especially the views to Alpeiner Ferner are breath taking...


Panorama views

360° summit panoramaSummit panorama of Innere Sommerwand


Sommerwandferner panoramaPanorama of Sommerwandferner


Getting There

OberbergtalOberbergtal

The best way to start your climb of one of the Sommerwand summits is Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft). To reach the hut you have to get to Neustift-Milders in the Stubai valley. There are several possibilities to do so:

  • By car:
    Expressway number A13 connects Innsbruck with Bozen/Bolzano (Italy). Leave the expressway at the exit "Schönberg/Stubaital" and follow road 183 to Neustift-Milders. From there a road leads up the Oberbergtal. At the end of this beautiful valley is a parkinglot. From here it is only about 1-1.5h to the hut. NOTE: If you are not in a hurry try to avoid the expressway between Innsbruck and the border to Italy, because there is a heavy toll. Use the old road 182 instead.
  • By train/bus:
    There are train connections to Innsbruck from Munich (Germany) and Bozen. From the Innsbruck central station about every hour a bus (line "ST") leaves to "Mutterberg Alm" in the Stubai valley. On the way there it passes Neustift-Milders. The bus ride takes about one hour and costs 5€. From Neustift-Milders you can hike the trail into the Oberbergtal and further up to the hut (about 4-5h).

The summits of Sommerwand are mostly climbed in the summer months. During the winter months Innere Sommerwand is a nice ski-tour. But it should only be done with save snow conditions, because the area around Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft) is very steep.

Maps and routes overview

Maps:

Routes:

  • Vordere Sommerwand
    Steep hiking trail up to Vordere Sommerwand. The last metres to the top are quite exposed (500m above Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft)) but well secured with chains.
  • Innere Sommerwand via Kräulscharte
    If you don' t turn right up to Vordere Sommerwand you' ll reach Sommerwandferner (up to 30°) and Kräulscharte (3069m/10069ft). From there the west-ridge leads up the summit. Because of the chains the ridge is quite easy.
  • Sommerwand traverse
    Hike up to Vordere Sommerwand and follow the ridge to Innere Sommerwand (about 2.5km, UIAA IV). After reaching Innere Sommerwand descent to Kräulscharte (3069m/10069ft) and back to Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft).

Mountain conditions

Webcam:

This is one of the webcams of Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft), which changes its direction every five minutes.

Weather:

  • www.wetter.com (Neustift im Stubaital)
  • Neustift im Stubaital is about 10km from Franz Senn-hut.
  • OEAV weather
  • Weather forecast of the austrian club of the alps (OEAV).
  • Avalanche report of Tyrol
  • Unfortunately this page is in german only.

    Red Tape

    There are no fees, permits or seasonal closures. Parking at the trailhead in the Oberbergtal is not free. I don' t know how much it is.

    Camping

    The best place to stay for a night is Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft). This beautiful hut is located nearly perfect and offers every comfort you can think of (warm showers, plenty of food, ...). You find more informations about the hut at its page here on summit post or on the homepage of Franz Senn-hut (www.franzsennhuette.at).

    I don' t think that camping is forbidden, but if you do so, do it at some place not visible from the hut and leave nothing but footprints.

    Page news

    23/Aug/2006
    • Initial page release.


    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Alpeiner BergeMountains & Rocks