Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.26540°N / 7.97969°E
Additional Information Elevation: 8979 ft / 2737 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the Simplon triptych (Weissmiess-Lagginhorn-Fletshorn) the main ridge continues straight to the nord with a decrescendo climax of lowering peaks. The Sengkuppa is then followed by the Böshorn then by others low mountains with a smooth relief and pre-alpine shape. The ridge dividing the Simplon (Diveria and Saltina valleys) from the Nanztal is characterised by many easy and panoramic points. Spitzhornli (little peak in german dialect) is a wonderfull panoramic point located in the centre of the Vallisian Alps. View spaces between the Monte Leone (the highest peak of Lepontine Alps), the Simplon Triptych (Lagginhorn, Fletschorn, Weissmiess), the Oberland and Penninian-Vallisian Alps. For the Italians leaving in the area of Milano, an occasion to see the Mischabel, Nadelgrat, Alphubel, Steahlhorn by a completely new prospective than the usual. Easy walking to the top, for everyone. Clear, easy and comfortable path. A "classic" of the sky. Swisstopo Map 1:50000 Nr. 274 Visp

Getting There

From Italy: from Milano keep the higway A8 Milano-Laghi, then follow to A26 direction Gravellona Toce, Simplon pass (Sempione). Attention: once passed the Ticino River (after the exit Borgo Ticino) the higway divides: to the left Genova, to the right Gravellona Toce - Sempione. Drive till Ornavasso (A26) then the highway fades into Strada Statale (National Route) S 33 "del Sempione". Follow direction Domodossola, and Sempione. At Iselle-Gondo there is the border Italiy-Switzerland (bring ID or passport) then just follow the main road to Simplon Pass. Once there, at the parking place on the summit of the Simplon Pass (close to Simplone Hospitz or Albergo Monte Leone) leave there car and keep walking in the west direction. From Brig: follow to Simplon Pass and enjoy the beautiful landscape. Normal route to the top: Form Simplon Pass go in the counter direction respect to Monte Leone and Simplon Hosptize (direction West). The beginning is not so clear so look around yourself to find a path; by the way go in direction of the small village of Hopsche. Once there turn to South-West and just follow the path that is going up smoothly. Traverse on the flank of Tochuhorn and enter in a nice high-plane. Once arrive to Nanzlike, the pass at 2602m. Continue along the ridge to the top: there is a small cross on the 2729 then follow till 2737, the real top.

When To Climb

Everytime of the year: ski route in winter, easy walking and biking in summer and autumn

Miscellaneous Info

The Simplon Pass is a very important historical alpine passage sinche form the Middle Age. Quite close to Simplon Dorf there is the Alte Spittel, th eold Hospitze: beautiful building of the Xv century. Also all the route from Bireg to Domodossola may offer you the occasion to visit very nice places. A good occasion to see the Gole di Gondo, a very amazing place! This valley (Divedro Valley) is a beautiful, green and thypically alpine Vally: I really raccomand it. A very beautiful palce is the Lago Maggiore: Intra, Pallanza, Stresa, the Borromeo goulf.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 29, 2015 12:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Coordinates Glitch

I just stumbled onto a strange glitch which corrupted the location of numerous pages and listed them all at the same point in southern AZ, USA. Please fix the lat/lon coordinates of this page to the following (46.375046, 7.310368) and I'll be happy to remove my "needs updates" vote. Thanks!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Weissmies GROUPMountains & Rocks