Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.21785°N / 8.00354°E
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10722 ft / 3268 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the Simplon triptych (Weissmiess-Lagginhorn-Fletshorn) the main ridge descends up to north with several lower peaks: the Sengkuppa covered by glaciers, the rocky Böshorn then others mountains (Galenhorn, Magehorn, Spitzhornli) with a smooth and round relief covered by grasses and low vegetation.
The ridge separates the Simplon (Diveria and Saltina valleys) from the Nanztal; it is interesting for the large panoramic view and the nice environment.

Boshorn is a excellent panoramic point located in the centre of the Vallisian Alps.
View spaces between the Monte Leone (and the Lepontine Alps), the Fletschorn north wall, the Berner Alps (the Aletsh gletscher and Fiensteraarhorn) and Penninian-Vallisian Alps (Dom, Taschorn, Weisshorn, Bishorn).

A "classic" of the sky-mountaineering: steeped and technically interesting, with a short rock climbing on the final exposed ridge (about the last 100 meters, UIAA II).

Swisstopo Map 1:50000 Nr. 274 Visp

A note: this mountain on the Swisstopo Map as well the IGM maps is named Rauthorn, and Boshorn is a lower point (3233m) on the ridge between this summit and Sengkuppa. But, by a long tradition, in literature it is known as Boshorn.

Getting There

The starting point is a car park aside the Simplon road, near Engliloch, in the locality called Chusmatte (1810m), only a few kilometers at north of Simplon Dorf, the main village on the southern side of Simplon pass.
This area is easy reachable from Italy following the Milano – Gravellona Toce (A26) highway and then continuing in the direction of Simplon pass (SS33).

From Switzerland it’s less than an hour of car from Brig across the Simplon pass.

There is also a bus service that covers all the main Road of Simplon, from Brig to Simplon Dorf.

Trasquera-Iselle is reachable from Italy by train (international line Milano-Domodossola-Brig) as well from Switzerland. Excellent coach service between Varzo and Brig (by Switzerland).

Normal Route to the top

Normal route to the top.
From the parking place cross the river on a bridge and then rise to the small village of Chusmatte (1810m). Rise in west direction at the foot of a high rocky barrier, looking for a steeped colouir (in summer there is a waterfall there). Rise the steeped path then you arrive to a large basin, where in summer are located the Sirwoltsee lakes.
Follow the left direction (South) to the highest of the two lakes (2453m). Then cross the frozen lake (in winter) or walk around it (South direction) and hike the large barrier under the upper glacier (West direction) till quote 2819m.
Turn on the South-East direction hiking a steeped morrain (q 2984) and than look for the East Ridge. Follow the snow field up till the final ridge (about 80 meters UIAA I/II) to the summit iron cross (3267.8 m).

The summit is reacheable by the Nanztal too(very long).

A note: since the way up is quite steeped, better with stable snow.
From the top, descend along the way up. A short cut direct to the lake is possible around the glacer, but only with a thick snow cover.

Camping

No permission required to camp in Chulsmatte.
A confortable Hostel is the Simplon Ospice.
Several Guesthouse and Hotels availeable in Gondo, Gabi, Simplon Dorf and Simplon Pass.

Check for the Swiss Army campaign

External Links

Add External Links text here.