Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.17199°N / 8.12233°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8002 ft / 2439 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Seehorn stands as a silent sentinel above the Gondo gorges (Gole di Gondo in italian, Gondosclucht in german) a wild, deep and narrow canyon in the valley of torrent Diveria, along the Simplon route.
It is a nice panoramic point over the Simplon pass and the Monte Leone group. The western scenario is all for the wonderfull Simplon tryptich Wessmiess-Lagginhorn-Fletschhorn, viewed here by their wildest side.
Seehorn is a slim conic peack: the south side, for the normal way is covered by sunny larch woods and then grass and stones.
Very severe istead is the north side, about 1500 meters of rocks on the gorges of Gondo.

Simplon pass was a strategic point for the comunication between Milan and the north of italy and Walis and then France. In the 17th century the legendary Stockhalper horganised a regular traffic between Domodossola and Brig and Simplon pass rised a great importance for the transport of people and goods across Alps.
It was Napoleon that ordered the constraction of a route in 1800 that allow to military waggons, artillery and then four-wheeler mail cariages. The new route was terminated in 1805 and untill the consturction of the railway tunnel (1898-1905) it was the main communicaiton way between Italy and France.

Seehorn offers you the view of an uncontaminated wild area with large and very nice panorama


Getting There

The normal way up to Seehorn it is very easy. You can choose to begin your wolking form the small village of Bord in the Zwishbergen or from Gabi, on the Simplon road. Both the ways meet in Furggu and then you reach to the top.

From Italy (Milano): drive to the A8 highway direction Varese/Gravellona Toce/Sempione, then at Gallarate follow for A26 Gravellona Toce/Genova.
At Castelletto Ticino follow the right deviation to Gravellona Toce. Streight ahead following direction Sempione (the highway ends up in the National Route SS33 "del Sempione": after Onravasso speed limit 90 km/h).
Cross the border Italy-Switzerland in Trasquera-Gondo. Just at the old customs-house look for a small way on your left direction Zwischbergen.
In the case you prefer begin from Gabi, just drive alone the Gondo gorge till Gabi.

From Switzerland (Brig): drive towards Simplon and Milano. After the Simplon pass go streight to Gondo. Along the way you will pass Gabi, where it start an alternative route to the top.

From Bord (Zwishbergen). You can park the care at the entrance of the village then walk back 100 meters on the main road to a bridge. There follow th eindication of "Stokhalperweg" (blue indication). The path rise in a nice larch wood till Furggu (1872 meters). Anyway form Bord the paved road arrive there, so you can drive your car till Furggu.
From Gabi cross the Laggina torrent and then follow the indication "Stockhalperweg" or "Furggu".
(As suggested by Diveria) From Gabi after the Laggina river follow straight the path to Furggu, or the Stockalper one lead you again soon to the valley

Once arrived at Furggu, the path rise through a sparse larch wood and then on grass and stones to the top. On the way Red/whithe signs.
From Furggu the path is not clear: you can rise withouth following a path in the wood then soon or later oyu will meet the regular path.
Then you will reach the top antenna.





Red Tape

You can go to this mountain everytime.
It is a classical of the winter sky.

In the summer season no specific equipment reuired.

Map: Swisstopo 1:50000 Visp, n°274

Accomodation

From Varzo to Simplon Pass there are several small hotels, gasthouse and camping you can choose between

External Links